CSU rugby climbing the conference in last two weeks of play

Senior Jedidiah "Jedi" Teofilo trucks through three players at rugby practice. The Rams are currently undefeated and will take on Cal Poly tomorrow at 1 p.m. on the IM Fields.
Senior Jedidiah “Jedi” Teofilo trucks through three players at rugby practice. The Rams are currently undefeated and will take on Cal Poly tomorrow at 1 p.m. on the IM Fields.

In any sport, fundamentals are the foundation that determine a team’s success or struggle. While the CSU rugby team has worked in new players in the spring season, it grew continously over the past weeks of the spring season.

“I do not think this season has been a struggle,” captain Carmine Hernandez said. “We have worked new players into new positions on the field and that has made out team work cohesively.”

A transitional spring season changed for the Rams in their 36-15 victory over Wyoming last weekend. The Rams’ fundamentals were the back bone of its victory as it stopped the Cowboys on fastball movements.

CSU will take the field in hope to be a similar support against the Air Force Academy on Saturday.

“Our defense was immaculate and our speed off the line was awesome,” Hernandez said. “We also set up quickly after penalties which left them on the backs of their feet. In Rugby, once the penalty is called, you can set the ball and go right away no matter if the defense is ready or not. That proved to be a great advantage for us.”

The Rams moved to 2-2-1 in the final stretch of the spring season, with Air Force, Colorado and Wyoming on the schedule before the postseason.

Air Force is third place in the Western Conference D1A College Rugby standings. The Falcons defeated the Rams 29-24 in Colorado Springs one month ago, though the Rams moved up to second place in the conference after last weekend’s victory.

“We were dominating from the start in my point,” Hernandez said. “We were working them, but the conditions threw up. It was the beginning of the season and we have grown a lot since that game.”

To be successful against the Falcons, the Rams will need to have a bigger point of depth, be faster off the line and keep the ball moving. A point going into Saturday’s game will be to keep them on their heels.

CSU will take the field against Air Force Saturday at 1 p.m. in its second to last home game of the season. The Rams home daytime field is located east  of the fenced in football practice field.

Collegian Assistant Sports Editor Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com and on Twitter @haleighhamblin. 

Break Out: Upcoming Schedule

Saturday April 5th: CSU v. Air Force @ Fort Collins, CO

Wednesday April 9th: CSU v. Colorado @ Fort Collins,CO

Saturday April 12th: CSU v. Wyoming @ Laramie, WY