CSU soccer concludes conference play empty handed

Despite CSU soccer’s hopes of collecting its second win of the season in conference action against San Jose State on Sunday, the Rams returned home empty handed.

Colorado State took the field knowing it would be the final game of the 2013 season. Back several weeks ago when CSU first put on green and gold uniforms in Division I, concerns rose as to where the Mountain West newcomer would go.

“I thought we played some of our best soccer of the year,” head coach Bill Hempen said. “As far as possession and movements and skill level.”

While presenting a strong effort, the Rams soccer team started the weekend off on the wrong foot, as CSU could not overcome a second-half fight that the Bulldogs put into motion. The Rams eventually found themselves down 3-0. Friday’s game against the Bulldogs gave CSU the loss to determine if the Rams would finish last in the MW.

Sunday at San Jose State served as CSU’s last conference game of the season, wrapping up its debut season with a 1-9 record.

The game remained scoreless until the 54th minute when SJSU’s Alexis Venegas put one past CSU goalie Maggie Sherman.

“They have been pretty resilient this season,” Hempen said. “They did not give in. When you are having this kind of a season, our team has stood strong to battle every game to the last minute.”

At the end of the game, the 2013 MW season concluded with a loss on the road. Over its season, CSU has struggled to fill the position of a lead attacker who could finish goals. According to Hempen, that is something he will look to find for next season as the program will push forward into its second year.

CSU ends the season against UNC on Nov. 1 in search of its third victory on the year.

“I think were probably more calm on the ball in that we are bale to take stretches of games with more confident than when we started the season,” Hempen said. “We will need to come out next season and do this game some justice.”

Collegian Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com