Sports brief: CSU volleyball climbs AVCA rankings heading into match at DU

The CSU Rams beat Cal Poly 3-0 this Saturday at Moby Arena. The Rams are starting off the volleyball season with high hopes and promising results.

In what was considered to be its rebuilding year, the CSU volleyball team continues to gain recognition within the American Volleyball Coaches Association.

The spotlight put on the Rams is a result of their powerful start to the 2013 season, a season that has been going better than expected. Tasked with replacing four graduating starters from 2012, the Rams quickly jumped at filling the open positions. The Rams are now wearing an undefeated 6-0 record heading into tonight’s game at Denver University against a 5-1 Pioneer team.

Last week in particular helped catapult CSU to the No. 26 spot in the AVCA after going 4-0 over five days, winning the title at the Pepperdine Invitational, a three-game tournament in Malibu, Calif., over the weekend.

Returning to Colorado, the Rams have two matches in two days, at Denver on Tuesday and against Missouri State at Moby on Wednesday, before getting a week off.

What to watch for:

The Pioneers are also coming into their home game against CSU with a weekend Invitational crown. DU traveled to Chicago, Ill., and swept all three matches it played, two against Marshall and one over the University of Illinois-Chicago.

CSU junior setter Deedra Foss has earned Mountain West player of the week honors thanks to her part in CSU’s victory in the Pepperdine Invitational. Over four games, Foss averaged 12.07 assists and 2.6 digs per set for the Rams.

Tonight’s match at Hamilton Gymnasium should be one of CSU’s most competitive games it has seen all year.

Sports Editor Quentin Sickafoose can be reached at sports@collegian.com.