CSU Softball prepares for top seeded San Diego State after snow provides an extra days of practice

Softball at the Lloyd!
Softball at the Lloyd! (Photo credit: Seth W.)

With weather canceling yet another game for the CSU Softball team Wednesday, the Rams took advantage extra days of practice before competing against Mountain West leader San Diego State (30-17, 8-4 MW).

CSU (21-22, 7-5MW) has a three game series set for this weekend and needs to make the most of their time before attempting to knock off the Aztecs.

“I really think an extra day gets you to de-stress, tighten up your play and in this case, prepare yourself to beat them (SDSU),” junior Chelsea Biglow said. “We need to bring the entire package… make it more fun. Then we can look to win.”

The Rams ended last season one game behind San Diego State and tied Boise State for second place.

Playing at home for their first series since UNLV in March, CSU remains 3-0 at Ram Field. Even though the Rams have not been home enough to take advantage of it, they are hoping to make up for that this weekend. San Diego State is 3-3 on the road, and remain only one game ahead of CSU.

“Being at home for the first time since our first series against UNLV is huge,” junior Ashlie Ortega said. “We are getting the fever up. It is a three-games series that will go to who ever wants it most.”

Arguably, when looking at statistics of both the offense and defense, the Rams have come a long way over this past year. They’ve been adding new plays to the line up and increasing the strength of veterans. CSU has proven their growth and maturity as a team.

Playing San Diego last season first in conference play, the Rams are confident that the Aztecs will see a completely different team all around.

“Over the last year we have become more in tune defensively and we have more leadership this time around,” CSU coach Jen Fisher said. “I think SDSU took advantage of our immaturity last time. They will see a different team this weekend.”

The Rams are eager to turn the table with several victories and give the Aztecs a run for first place.

“I just really want us to play our best, ” Fisher said. “We have yet to fire on all cylinders this season. It would be nice to do it all at the same time.”

Winning the series against San Diego this weekend does not clinch first place for CSU. The still has three more games to play next weekend against New Mexico, who are currently ranked seventh in the MW. To move up from last years’ second place finish, the Rams will have to continue to play top-notch ball by limiting the errors and strike outs.

“Its going to be a dog fight no matter what,” junior infielder Chelsea Biglow said.