CSU Softball travels to Boise with three series left in the season

Assistant Coach, Melissa Perea, high fives Alysa Greckel, 29, after she made a good play against UNLV Thursday afternoon. The Rams won 2 - 0.

With three series left in the season, CSU softball looks to clinch first place in the Mountain West with a strong performance at Boise State.

Playing three games at BSU’s Dona Larsen Park, the Rams will swing the bats first on Friday at 3p.m.

Continuing the series with one game on saturday and sunday, CSU (20-20,6-3MW) has to opportunity to take three games against the last place Boise State (19-23-1,3-6MW).

Not a team to be over estimated, the Broncos took two out of three games against top ranked San Diego State last weekend.

Boise State may not have been able to match up standing wise; however,m Broncos outfielder and second baseman\Devon Bridges has recorded a .393 batting average, hitting nine doubles, seven home-runs and 42 RBI’s.

Last weekend CSU evened out their record after taking two out of three games against Fresno State. Tying San Diego State(28-16, 6-3MW) in the MW, this is the highest rank the Rams have had all year.

“I think it is a good place to be,” CSU coach Jen Fisher said. “We play one game at a time. It is hard to do that wether you are in first or last place.”

Influencing practice on the diamond this week, snow continued to fall in Northern Colorado last weekend and early this week. The CSU Softball team continued to have limited game like experience. Wednesday was the first time the Rams have been able to practice on the diamond in over a week.

Force to work on game situations indoors, the Rams have prepared for this three game series against Boise State with a lot of reps on the bat as well as on defense.

Continuing to put up a strong force at the hot corner, junior Chelsea Biglow earned her second MW player of the week in less than a month. Batting .500 for the week, Biglow collected three extra-base hits against Fresno State including one triple and two home-runs.

The Rams have improved from the beginning of the season on both the offensive and defensive line. Swinging the bats stronger and limiting errors, CSU has put themselves in a position now take the MW Championship: with a strong finish of the season.

“When you have a team that is so motivated, they can be their own worst enemy when they get down on themselves. What we would like to get out of this weekend is to get our bats out,” Fisher said. “I think they are really past due.”

Having lost several close games in extra innings, CSU cannot afford to move down against Boise this weekend.

“I feel really strong about what we can do. I am going to be happy with a strong effort either way,” Fisher said.

Softball Beat Reporter Haleigh Hamblin can be reached at sports@collegian.com.