Mountain West conference NCAA tournament results, FGCU upsets SDSU

Mountain West Conference logo
Mountain West Conference logo (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

FGCU upsets SDSU 81-71

Cinderella booked a date to the Sweet 16.

Florida Gulf Coast continued its miracle NCAA tournament run by defeating San Diego State 81-71 in the third round.

The Eagles forced 17 turnovers which lead to 22 points and scored 21 fast break points.

FGCU senior forward Sherwood Brown continued his dominance in the tournament with 17 points and two key 3-pointers.

The Eagles will play Florida in the Sweet 16.

Louisville pounds CSU 82-56

Louisville got its game on to the Rupp Arena floor. CSU did not.

The Cardinals forced 20 turnovers, which lead to 24 points and a 82-56 win in the third round of the NCAA tournament.

CSU grabbed 24 rebounds to Louisville’s 29, just the third time the team had been out-rebounded all season.

Louisville junior guard Russ Smith scored 27 points on 4-7 shooting from behind the three point line.

Senior forward Greg Smith scored 14 points to lead CSU while sophomore guard Daniel Bejarano also was in double figures with 10.

Louisville will play Oregon in the Sweet Sixteen on March 29 in Indianapolis.

San Diego State outlasts Oklahoma 70-55

San Diego State turned a two point halftime deficit into a 70-55 win over Oklahoma in the second round of the NCAA tournament to put two Mountain West teams into the round of 32.

Junior guard Jamaal Franklin scored 21 points and pulled down eight rebounds for the Aztecs while senior guard James Rahon scored 17 off the bench.

Oklahoma shot under 40 percent from the field and only 23.8 percent from three-point range.

Both teams held onto the ball well, only combining for 20 total turnovers.

SDSU controlled the boards, pulling down 36 rebounds to Oklahoma’s 28.

The Aztecs advance and will play Florida Gulf Coast Sunday.

Harvard upsets New Mexico 68-62

A blisteringly efficient offense and suffocating defense allowed Harvard to upset 3-seed New Mexico 68-62 in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

The Crimson shot 52.4 percent from the field and held the Lobos to under 40 percent while forcing 10 turnovers.

Sophomore guard Wesley Saunders scored 18 points and junior guard Laurent Rivard added 17 to offset 22 points and 12 rebounds from New Mexico center Alex Kirk.

Harvard next plays Arizona Saturday.

CSU moves past Mizzou 84-72

Dorian Green really doesn’t like Missouri.

The Lawrence, KS native scored 26 points on 3-5 shooting from behind the arc to lead CSU to a 84-72 win over Missouri in the second round of the NCAA tournament.

CSU shot 49 percent from the field as a team and made 27-33 free throws to counter Missouri’s 42.1 percent shooting.

The Rams also out-rebounded the Tigers 42-19. Both teams average more than 40 rebounds per game.

CSU will play top overall seed Louisville Saturday.

Cal upends UNLV 64-61

UNLV made its second consecutive second round NCAA tournament exit courtesy of a Pac-12 team, losing 64-61 to Cal.

Four Bears in double figures paced a balanced Cal attack, lead by junior guard Allen Crabbe’s 19.

The Rebels only shot 31.7 percent from the field and 28.6 percent from the three point line.

Neither team shot above 66 percent from the free throw line. Cal only made 43.8 percent of its shots from the charity stripe.

Cal tallied 17 assists to UNLV’s 10 and only turned the ball over 12 times.

The Bears pay the winner of the Syracuse vs Montana game later tonight.

Boise State loses 80-71 vs La Salle

Not even the greatest performance by a Boise State player in the NCAA tournament could get the Broncos out of the First Four.

Sophomore guard Anthony Drimic scored 28 points but Boise State couldn’t overcome four La Salle players in double figures as the Broncos lost 80-71.

Junior Tyrone Garland lead the Explorers with 22 points off the bench as La Salle shot 63 percent from the floor as a team.

The Broncos trailed 35-28 at hafltime and were behind by double digits most of the second half.

The Explorers play 5-seed Kansas State Friday at 1:10 p.m.