CSU women’s basketball travels to Boise State looking for repeat Mountain West win

LaDeyah Forte (1) shooting during a paired shooting drill at practice Monday afternoon in Moby Arena. The Rams are preparing to play against Boise State in Idaho tonight at 7 PM.

A 1-5 road record should be enough to give the CSU women’s basketball team something to worry about when playing away from Moby Arena. However, the Rams hardly seem worried because they are about to enter territory they feel comfortable in.

CSU travels to Boise State Wednesday, where last year they walked away from Taco Bell Arena with a 60-52 win.

“You have to win your home games, it’s beginning to be a big factor in the league,” Boise State coach Gordy Presnell said. “Obviously they present a lot of problems for us because of what happened last year.”

Regardless of last year’s results, Wednesday’s game won’t be easy for either team. CSU is beginning to slip further down in the conference standings, while the Broncos are currently riding a five home game winning streak.

None of these statistics are news to the Rams – they are fully aware of the the road that lies in front of them.

“We still don’t know exactly what to expect, besides that they are a really good team. We can’t overlook them at all,” senior forward Meghan Heimstra said. “(Lauren) Lenhardt is a really good player that motivates everyone around her.”

Boise State has leaned Lenhardt all season long. She currently leads the team on the offensive side of the ball.

She scores a MW-leading 18.4 points per conference game to go with 7.2 rebounds, both higher than any Colorado State player.

While the Rams are focused more on a single player, Boise State has its eye on the defensive zone that CSU plays, in fear that it may cause it some trouble.

“We’ll have a hard time with their 3-2 zone defense they put out, it will force us to play in a way we’re not used to,” Presnell said. “Obviously that has us very concerned.”

The Rams will have to find their defensive groove because the Broncos are averaging 63.8 points per game this season, while only being able to put up 55.7 themselves.

CSU enters Wednesday’s game with four losses out of their last five.

“We need this win. We’ll have to do it by scoring the ball more consistently, we have our work cut out for us,” CSU coach Ryun Williams said. “We anticipate playing well tomorrow. Maybe getting on the road is what this team needs, it doesn’t matter where you play, as long as you come ready.”