Current road trip continues to be a struggle for CSU women’s basketball

The CSU women’s basketball team’s stretch of road matches continued on Saturday, but unfortunately for the Rams, so did their losing streak.

The Rams lost to Bowling Green State 71-49 at the Stroh Center in Ohio for their third straight defeat.

Bowling Green brought the fight right at the moment of tip-off with four consecutive three-pointers to open the game.

The Falcons built a 15 point lead before CSU could make it on the scoreboard, which came nine minutes into the game.

“Right from the start they kind of punched us in the mouth; they have an extremely skilled team,” freshman guard Caitlin Duffy said. “We got down right away and it took us awhile to get any offensive rhythm. We were playing from behind the rest of the game.”

The Rams struggled to find on the offensive side of the ball during the first half, which led to a stagnant offense.

They knocked down 4-19 field goals before heading to the locker room with a 31-14 deficit at halftime.

“We dug ourselves another big hole, and that cost us a game tonight,” coach Ryun Williams said. “We don’t make plays and that’s one of our biggest weaknesses, bottom line is we have to complete plays.”

After the half CSU began to play with signs of promise, doubling both their score and field goal percentage within the first seven minutes of play.

However, Bowling Green’s mountain of a lead proved to be too steep for CSU to climb. The closest the Rams ever got to the Falcons was within 13, before ultimately dropping the game by 22.

Coming off the bench, Duffy was CSU’s only player in double digits with 15, compared to Bowling Green’s four players to score ten or more.

“We knew going in that they had three big players,” junior forward Alicia Nichols said. “All of their players started scoring early, so it was pretty much a team effort on their part.”

All four of the Falcons in double digits had buckets from 3-point range, something that the Rams have recently been struggling with. CSU managed to shoot 16 percent from behind the arch, tallying only three of the 22 attempts it took.

“We’ve gone two games now where we’ve shot three for 23 from the three line and three for 22, that’s got to be a better percentage,” Williams said.

Bowling Green improves to 4-3 while simultaneously dropping CSU to a 2-4 record.

“We’ll learn from these tough losses,” Williams said. “There’s still a long season ahead of us.”