McKissick: I’m a 5th-year — here’s my advice for how to graduate on time

students study in the library framed by book shelves
Students utilize the study spaces and resources on the second floor of the Morgan Library Aug. 30. (Connor McHugh | The Collegian)

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board.

When it comes to a bachelor’s degree, it traditionally takes four years to graduate. However, the truth of the matter is college can be a volatile period, and there are a multitude of reasons one’s journey may not align with that time frame.

In fact, a report published by EducationData.org earlier this year states only “41% of bachelor’s degree earners graduate within four years.” This means less than half of students seeking bachelor’s degrees do so within the traditional window of time.

Following some relatively unwise academic choices and unpredictable periods early on in my college career, I’m set to graduate after five years at Colorado State University. Although I have no shame in my status as a fifth-year student, if you’re a freshman or sophomore hoping to graduate on time, here’s what you can do to avoid a fate similar to my own.

If 15 credits per semester is too overwhelming for you, then slow and steady is preferential, but there are certain factors to consider.”

For three of the first four semesters of my college career, I was only enrolled in 12 credit hours per semester, and following a mentally strenuous time in my life, that number dropped to six in another semester. Tracy Close, an academic success coordinator in the political science department at CSU, suggested taking at least 15 credit hours each semester or 12 with an additional six in summer semesters.

Close also recommended students make use of every amenity CSU offers to help facilitate their success, including but not limited to The Institute for Learning and Teaching, the CSU Writing Center, professors’ office hours and CSU Health Network’s student fee-funded counseling sessions to maintain your mental health.

However, Close also noted that it’s best to go at a pace you’re comfortable with rather than rushing and becoming encumbered by trying to graduate with your class.

“If one graduates on time with a 2.3 GPA, that may not be helpful for them, especially if they want to attend grad school,” Close said. “But if taking it more slowly enables them to perform better academically and get a better GPA, that’s better for their future.”

If 15 credits per semester is too overwhelming for you, then slow and steady is preferential, but there are certain factors to consider.

Work with (your advisor) to understand what’s required of you for your major and create a plan for future semesters. It can be difficult to make sense of all that’s ahead of you early on in your college career.”

Take the oftentimes astronomically expensive tuition rates, for example. If your expected family contribution is a decent amount, it may be in your best interest to try to stick to the four-year graduation plan. Additionally, it’s important to note federal financial loans are not available during summer semesters if students used all of their federal loan during the academic year.

Manchis Ceja, a fifth-year student majoring in social work at CSU, described college as a time of self-discovery and said it can be difficult to go through this transitional phase on your own. He emphasized the importance of asking for help from others when you need it.

“That can be from professors to mentors and even friends,” Ceja said.

This can include your advisor, too. Work with them to understand what’s required of you for your major and create a plan for future semesters. It can be difficult to make sense of all that’s ahead of you early on in your college career.

Ella Bowers, an academic success coordinator who works in the College of Liberal Arts, echoed Close’s sentiments and added that students requiring electives or even all-University core curriculum credits can elect to participate in the College-Level Examinations Program.

The program is overseen by College Board and allows students “to earn credit for general introductory course work” by taking an exam, according to CSU’s Office of the Registrar. Exam choices range from American government and introductory psychology all the way to level-two language courses.

It also helps to have a loose idea of what you’re going to major in when going into college, Bowers said.

“There are some majors on campus — in the sciences or engineering, for example — that in order to graduate in four years, a student would need to start in that major as a freshman,” Bowers said. 

If you’re struggling with your four-year — or five-year — track to graduate, talk to your advisor. Each situation is different, and they’re well-equipped to sit down with you and formulate a plan that’s best for you and your circumstances.

Nathaniel McKissick can be reached at letters@collegian.com or on Twitter @NateMcKissick.