How to Increase eCommerce Sales with SEO

With the development of the online shopping market, SEO has become a crucial factor in driving targeted traffic and increasing sales. Effective...

McWilliams: The moon landing was fake

Editor’s Note: This is an April Fools’ satire piece from The Collegian’s opinion section. Real names and the events surrounding them may be used in fictitious/semi-fictitious ways. Those who do not read the editor’s notes are subject to being offended.

The United States’ Apollo 11 was, allegedly, the first manned mission to land on the moon. In the summer of 1969, the “astronauts” on the mission were Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins, though Michael Collins didn’t go on the moon — he was in orbit while Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon. However, none of this actually happened. The moon landing was faked and was a government conspiracy to bring patriotism back during the Cold War.

The flag

In the photos, it looks as if the American flag is flapping in the breeze, but anyone can tell you there shouldn’t be wind on the lunar surface. Because we had never been on the moon, the director of the moon landing, arguably Stanley Kubrick, put a fan outside of the camera shot to make it appear that it was blowing in the wind, which doesn’t exist on the moon, clearly showing that the moon landing was fake.

The photographer

The story goes that there were only two astronauts that went on the moon, but in many of the pictures, you can see a photographer in the reflection of their suits. I don’t need to go any further on this one.

The stars

In the photographs of the Earth from the moon’s surface, there are no stars. Someone could argue that the moon’s surface reflects the sun and that the glare would’ve made the stars difficult to see, but that just isn’t true. You can see the stars when it’s dark outside on Earth, so there should be stars in the pictures because it’s obviously dark on the moon.

The reflections

In many of the moon landing pictures, there are reflections and lights that could only come from studio lighting on a production set.

Photoshopped objects

In many of the pictures, there are duplicates of the exact same rock right next to each other. There are duplicate craters as well, showing that they went back and edited the footage to look more space-like. There are also duplicate backgrounds in many of the photos, even though they were said to be taken in different places.

In conclusion, the moon landing was faked, and we’ve all been living a lie. Do yourself a favor, and stop pretending we went to the moon.

Leta McWilliams can be reached at letters@collegian.com and on Twitter @LetaMcWilliams.