Neustadter: There is more CSU can do to support students

Editor’s Note: All opinion section content reflects the views of the individual author only and does not represent a stance taken by The Collegian or its editorial board.

From the first day of classes, Colorado State University touts its student resources. In the first week of being on campus, students are exposed to the wide range of extracurricular organizations in the Involvement Expo, as well as the multitude of resources available for students to access.

CSU prides itself on supporting students throughout their college journeys and routinely emphasizes student resource accessibility. For both first-year and continuing students, however, there is more CSU can do to support students in their academic journeys. 

While several colleges provide free printing to students majoring within the college — such as the College of Liberal Arts and the Warner College of Natural Resources — not every undergraduate student receives free printing.

This is a long-running issue that has been discussed many times, but the most recent debate on free printing is from a year ago, when the Associated Students of CSU endorsed a resolution to implement free printing through advertisements.

Since then, there hasn’t been action on behalf of the CSU administration to approve this resolution, which means printing continues to be an unnecessary expense for students who are already paying thousands to attend CSU. Printing is one service that all students use, and by offsetting the costs of printing, CSU can help support its students by taking one expense off their plates.

CSU can also better support its students by investing more in tutoring services across a variety of disciplines. For the fall 2019 semester, the majority of The Institute for Learning and Teaching’s study groups and tutoring services are directed toward STEM majors.

For both first-year and continuing students, however, there is more CSU can do to support students in their academic journeys. 

Of the study groups TILT offers, only one study group, for the class Economics 202, involves a liberal arts discipline. The single discipline with the most study groups is civil engineering, with others in the College of Agricultural Sciences and the College of Health and Human Sciences.

As for tutoring services, it’s a similar situation. The vast majority of resources are dedicated to STEM majors, with tutoring primarily in chemistry, physics, biology and math classes.

While all students must take a lab-based science course and a math course according to the All-University Core Curriculum, there are strangely no tutoring services for other classes in liberal arts disciplines that fall under AUCC, including classes in the arts and humanities, historical perspectives and diversity and global awareness requirements.

Many undergraduate students will, at some point, take a class in the College of Liberal Arts. It’s imperative that CSU supports students in these classes, as many 100-level liberal arts courses are survey-based, meaning that classes are often large, and students may feel lost or overwhelmed. 

While engineering is arguably one of the hardest majors at CSU, it doesn’t negate the discrepancy in student support. The College of Liberal Arts is one of the largest colleges at CSU, with the least amount of tutoring and study groups available to students. 

Although CSU supports students in their academic journeys through engaging organizations and extracurricular activities, there is more CSU can do to help students navigate college, helping to contribute to their academic success.

Corinne Neustadter can be reached at letters@collegian.com or on Twitter @CorinneN14.