Rego: There is such a thing as ‘too big’

Editor’s Note: The views expressed in the following column are those of the writer only and do not necessarily represent the views of The Collegian or its editorial board.

They say go big or go home and that bigger is always better. However, this is not always the case, especially with penises.

Some may argue a large penis is more enjoyable than a smaller sized penis, but there’s a certain point when too big becomes a problem. 

For people in college, sexual activity can be considerably high. We all want to make sure we’re getting the best experience that we can, regardless of size. 

The average erect penis is 5.16 inches in length, according to the British Journal of Urology International. For purposes of discussion, this article will refer to a large penis as anything 6 inches and above.

It’s important to note that many people don’t prioritize length as the main conductor of pleasure. An interesting survey conducted by BMC Women’s Health found that the majority of women prefer width rather than length. So keep that one in mind, fellas. 

In fact, above-average goods can cause potential negative health side effects for both men and women.

A study in Archives of Sexual Behavior observed sexual health with man-on-man homosexual sexual encounters and found that it was more difficult for men with larger-than-average penises to find properly fitted condoms, which led to higher risks of slippage or leakage. This issue can affect both homosexual and heterosexual relations.

An above-average penis can also affect a man’s ego, possibly making them seem narcissistic due to the confidence their large package brings, according to a small survey in Psychology of Men and Masculinity. So don’t let it get to your head, guys.

A penis too large poses many health risks both vaginally and anally. For instance, some short-term damages include the possibility of the cervix becoming bruised from deep penetration or vaginal and anal fissures.

There could also be long-term damages done to the body by forcing a large hot dog into a small bun. If an unfit penis over stretches a vagina, it can lead to uterine prolapse.

Uterine prolapse happens when the pelvic muscles become stretched and weaken. This can happen to women of any age. This damage could also lead to potential recurring cervical cysts, uterus sensitivity and a higher risk of bleeding from penetration.

…there’s a certain point when too big becomes a problem. 

Ciara Baird, an English major graduating this year, kindly shared her opinion on sex with large penises.

“It was not enjoyable,” Baird said. “It was painful, and there was bleeding, which caused him to freak out. Shouldn’t I be the one worried, since I was the one bleeding? … My vagina has been torn as well. Eventually, it healed, but it caused more bleeding to happen if I was not properly lubricated.

And sometimes, not every puzzle piece is meant to fit together.

“There is a point, for me, when it becomes unenjoyable and just hurts,” Baird said. “I have been with someone who was not only long, but also very girthy, and it was uncomfortable because it just felt like he did not fit and should not fit.” 

The science journal PLOS One featured a study specifically on women’s preference for penis sizes. The study showed that women would prefer a slightly above-average sized penis for one-time hookups. However, many of the women said this was not the case for a long-term partner.

Isabel Quire, a hospitality major in her first year, also has extensive personal experience with the subject. She was able to offer a different perspective on the potential damages of a large penis.

“I have definitely been bruised and sore,” Quire said. “I’ve never felt the need to go to a doctor to have anything checked out, but my ‘recovery’ process is lengthy.” 

While both women may not have entirely similar experiences, they both agree that damage is possible, and proper lubrication with warm-up can prepare the body for intercourse with an above-average penis.

“A large penis is still very enjoyable,” Quire said. “I would say foreplay is the most important thing for it to be enjoyable. Trying to force a large penis in is extremely painful, and just doesn’t work.”

Everyone’s experience is different, but it can be rationalized that if something doesn’t fit, we should not force it to fit. So next time you think bigger is better, remember you want pleasure, not pain.

Shay Rego can be reached at letters@collegian.com or on Twitter at @shay_rego.