Brust: False idols and narrow media coverage have ruined this election season

If you haven’t heard, the latest news to plague the reality TV show that is our presidential election was delivered by no one other than Madonna.

The queen of pop was introducing Amy Schumer at her comedy event at Madison Square Garden when she told attendees she would give them a blow job if they would vote for Hillary Clinton.

I respect that Madonna can say and do what she wishes with her body, but where do we draw the line in bringing these shenanigans into politics? This story has popped up more on my Facebook timeline than any real election news. Why do we as a country care so much about flat out stupid things?

Why do we care about what Madonna said? First of all, she is literally Madonna. Did we expect anything less from someone with such a gaudy reputation? Second, just because she said something doesn’t mean it has anything to do with feminism, women’s empowerment, or Hillary Clinton. What she said was a stupid throwaway line used to gain popularity off of the election. The fact that people are blowing up about it (yes, pun intended) is absolutely absurd.

Madonna is no feminist icon, she is no voice for the Clinton campaign, and her statement should be the last thing people are worried about in this election. Of course she’s not going to give a blow job to everyone who votes for Hillary Clinton.

I don’t care about Madonna or what she did, I really don’t. What I do care about is the popularity of news that is so un-correlated to the election. The uneducated voter is more likely to care about the hot gossip surrounding the election then they are the policies discussed.

This is not the first time entertainment TV has made its way into the election, stealing headlines while more important news is shoved aside. Lets not forget when Miley Cyrus went door-knocking for Hilary Clinton, or when Jay-Z said the N-word multiple times at a Hillary Clinton concert— none of which had to do with the campaign.

Madonna’s outburst also had absolutely nothing to do with Clinton’s campaign, yet the uneducated feminist calls her an icon? She is nothing more than a walking publicity stunt.

The election is tomorrow. We are still worried about the personality, jargon and appearance of the candidates and campaign, which is so unrelated to the election process. In what has been one of the most unconventional elections of all time, it’s time to step back into the traditional footsteps of politics and stop listening to what the media deems as most important. It is out of individual discernment that we must distance ourselves. It shouldn’t be that hard to discern politically correct content from useless information and false representation by the media.

She is no female empowerment icon. She is no model for the Clinton campaign. The “Madonna-like” instances that plague this election have made a fool of us all.