Collegian Editorial Board endorses Prop BB, 2B for Nov. 3 election

The Collegian Editorial Board supports the passing of both Proposition BB and Proposition 2B, two ballot issues in the Nov. 3 election.

Proposition BB would allow the state to continue to use marijuana revenue for education, and we believe that this allocation of money would be much more beneficial than the $6 that would be returned to each taxpayer that wouldn’t even buy us a burrito at Chipotle.

Continuing this allocation of tax money sets a precedent to change TABOR, an outdated constitutional measure that should be reformed for the benefit of school districts and public universities, both of which have been under funded.

As one of the first states to legalize marijuana, Colorado can set an example for other states that are looking to pass similar laws. Using the profits to fund public schools demonstrates integrity and the benefits of the industry.

Proposition 2B would allow the City of Fort Collins to create its own Internet service independent of private companies and charge the same price for the same Internet speed to consumers throughout the city. Currently, companies can vary prices and Internet speeds from customer to customer and in different areas.

Though it might not seem like a big issue at the moment, Proposition 2B is a preventative measure that will ensure that in coming years, Internet stays at the same price and at the same speed for everyone.

A century ago, it was a big deal for every citizen to have access to water and electricity. Now, everyone has access to these resources — why shouldn’t everyone have fair access to knowledge?

To vote in Larimer County, either bring a ballot at a drop-off location or vote at a polling station.

24-Hour Ballot Drop-off Locations (Until Nov. 3 at 7 p.m.)

• Larimer County Courthouse, 200 W. Oak St., Fort Collins

Business Hour Ballot Drop-off Locations (Until Nov. 3)

Tuesday (Election Day)

Nov. 3

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Voter service and polling centers (Until Nov. 3)

Voters may drop off their voted ballot, obtain a replacement ballot, change their address or register to vote at the Voter Service and Polling Centers.

Tuesday (Election Day)

Nov. 3

7 a.m. – 7 p.m.

• Larimer County Courthouse, 200 W. Oak St., Fort Collins

The Collegian Editorial Board can be reached at editor@collegian.com.