Music lovers and sports lovers aren’t so different

ram-rumble

Being in a packed stadium or venue is one of the most amazing feelings there are: people all around buzzing about the upcoming event, hoping that the band plays their favorite song or that their favorite team wins. There is so much energy packed into one place, even if a friend dragged you along, you can’t help but get into it when everyone else is.

I recently went to a sports bar to watch the Broncos game, and the energy was so high it made me more excited to see the game than I already was. Everyone was screaming and cheering at every touchdown or sack that happened, it reminded me of the way that I feel when I am at a concert.  Usually the ones who are at shows every Saturday night aren’t the ones cheering for their favorite team on Sunday morning, but these two actually have a lot in common.

What is so amazing about being either a sports fan or music fan is the instant camaraderie.  If you are sporting a shirt with your favorite team’s logo, it instantly invites strangers to start up a conversation with you about that team. Normally shy people are more inclined to say something to a stranger when they see someone that likes the same thing as them. I can’t tell you how many times I have had someone come up to me and say, “Oh hey, I really like your shirt, I love that band,” and then proceed to talk about the band whose merchandise I am wearing. It is the easiest way to make friends with complete strangers.

Gif courtesy of Giphy

When you are at a show, there is an unspoken bond between you and everyone else there. Despite being pushed up against strangers and having no choice but to talk about how awesome it is to see Max Bemis again, it isn’t as awkward, as you still feel connected to that person because they are just as passionate as you are about the band. Even if you don’t know anyone around you, you instantly become friends with them, and it is okay to discuss how amazing that song was that the band just played. When people are just as passionate and excited as you are, it makes the show so much more memorable.

At every sporting event the feeling is the same. You are high-fiving strangers that you would never even think about talking to. It is like you are all together in this, sharing the moment of joy when Demaryius Thomas caught the 509th touchdown from Peyton Manning or thanking Todd Helton for his time as a Rockie. You share these events with people and the game, or concert, becomes so much more exciting than it would have been if you were watching it alone.

Gif courtesy of Giphy

When you are a major fan you also feel emotionally connected to a player or musician. I am normally a quiet person in public, but I have no problem yelling at the top of my lungs at Charlie Blackmon when he is up to bat (mainly in hopes that he hears me and we become best friends, but that’s not the point). It is about supporting your team and your favorite players, just how yelling and singing along to your favorite songs is about supporting your favorite band. You grow connected to the band through their music and when you go to their shows you experience the music right along with them, just as you experience each great play and celebrate along with your favorite athletes.

In the end, music lovers and sports lovers may be different breeds of fans, but the extremely passionate ones are one in the same.

Gif courtesy of Giphy

Collegian Interactive News Team member Mikaela Antonelli can be reached at socialmedia@collegian.com or on Twitter @mikaela_tweets.