With the Tea Party, Christianity has a voice politics again

Brittany Jordan
Brittany Jordan

I am a Christian. I also affiliate with the Republican Party.

This should come as no surprise; the Republican Party has plenty of viewpoints that coincide with the stance of the Church –– except that, recently, I have felt that my party affiliation be kept under wraps, lest I be mocked.

I admit that the Republicans of the House of Representatives leave a lot to be desired –– they’re fighting amongst themselves to the point that they are making a mockery of the parliamentary procedure and acting with the temperament of 5-year-olds.

And it’s not like they’ve been winning a whole lot of elections, either.

So the question has come up: why still call myself a Republican? Why not jump ship, and vote for a team that wins? The problem with that is that my morality gets in the way.

There are many things that I do not agree with the Democratic Party about, not the least of which being the continuance to spend money that we don’t have on programs that we don’t need. But I digress.

Ultimately, my morality stems from my faith. And my faith was nurtured in the Church.

Now, I am fully aware of the separation of church and state in this country –– this is nothing new and it’s been said for a long time that religion has no place in politics. But I would argue that instead of Republicans leaning more towards the center of the aisle in the interest of gaining votes, it would be wiser to appeal to the millions of Christians and Catholics out there.

Here’s the thing. When it comes to voting, many Americans couldn’t care less about fiscal plans, so long as it doesn’t raise their taxes. What people care about are the hot-button, moral issues that we all have a variety of different viewpoints on, and will vote based on which candidate stands on more or less the same moral ground that they do.

And the reason that the Republicans haven’t won an election in recent years is that candidates have been so interested in leaning left that they have forgotten the votes on the right. The Christians out there are pissed that Republican candidates can’t take a firm stance on what they believe, and therefore don’t want to publicly endorse said candidate.

The Church may have no place in politics, but its members are strong. Gain the votes of the Church, and you have a decent chance.

So instead of voting for a candidate that they can’t endorse, plenty of Christians have taken to either not voting at all, or voting for a third party candidate that has no chance of winning, just to make a point.

Politics has grown into a dance about the interest of gaining as many votes as possible. It’s less about standing for what you believe in and more about trying to piss as few people off as possible.

However, I, and my Christian counterparts, are done with middle-of-the-aisle, wishy-washy candidates that can’t make up their mind about what they actually want. It would be so refreshing to see people pissed off again. But Republicans today are so worried about converting the Democrats that they’ve forgotten the conservatives that still have a voice that is proud and strong.

Yes, conservatives are still out there. And finally, finally, we’re tired of being ignored. It’s time that someone out there remembers what it’s like to actually have a stance, instead of getting caught up in politically-correct speeches that don’t state a firm position on anything.

At last count, 73 percent of Americans identified as Christian in 2012. Now, I am fully aware that there are plenty of Christians that affiliate with the Democratic side of the aisle, but there are also plenty of Republicans floating around in the Church sphere that are waiting patiently for a candidate to believe in.

It’s time that the interest of the Christian vote made its way back into politics. It’s time that morality was something to be revered, instead of flitting back and forth to both sides of the issue. It’s time that the conservative stance is taken into account, because Christians want to get back in the voting polls.

The Tea Party, the uber-conservatives that have long been viewed as a thorn in everyone’s side, finally has a voice. Because those uber-conservatives managed to shut down the entire government, maybe it’s time to stop ignoring them and start listening.

I know it’s a crazy thought, but if people would actually stop and listen to what the Tea Party has to say, things might actually get accomplished instead of getting shut down.

Brittany Jordan is a junior psychology major. Feedback of all varieties can be sent to letters@collegian.com.