Government shutdown: This is why we can’t have nice things

Isaac Morley
Isaac Morley

Health Care, education, dispersion of wealth among the populous, the faux-representative system — we have many problems facing our society today. Many aspects of the system could be much easier than they are, or could simply be much better.

If you are wondering why we can’t have nice things, look to Uncle Sam.

For the first time in almost two decades, we had a shutdown of the federal government. Despite threatening to in the previous few years, it has actually happened. Congress has decided to bicker at the cost of the livelihoods of thousands of federal employees.

We live in the pinnacle of technological advancement. We can manipulate genetics, predict the sex of an unborn child, cure disease and create energy from the sun. Unfortunately, what we cannot do is something that they teach us in kindergarten: get along.

With the Senate and the House arguing amongst each other and the White House quarrelling with both, how can the American people as a whole ever win? Because of these so called “Representatives” that are supposed to be representing the will of the governed, thousands and thousands of people were unable to work or were being asked to work for no pay. All over the country, governmental offices had slowed to a halt. And there truly is only one place to put the blame. It’s not one person or one group, it’s the entirety of the government.

Whether you are registered as one party or another, Republican, Democrat or a variant of independent, it is time to bury the hatchet for a time and look to the greater good. It is time to grow up and put away childish things because the time for them is over; it is time for maturity, responsibility and a show of togetherness to hold as a standard for other countries that look up to the United States, the United Nations and the concept of democracy.

I am not a huge fan of the federal government as it currently exists. There are many, many flaws that need to be worked out. However, the simple fact is that having a government, even a flawed one, in a time like this is infinitely better than a shut down.

The fact is that we need a system to operate. Even if it is an imperfect one, we need to have something in place. While it is my personal belief that we live during the end of the era of democracy.

If we truly do live in a democratic republic, then the government should have listen to us. Therefore, write letters, voice your opinion, stand up for our rights to be heard by the larger government and make Washington understand that we will not take this sitting down. While many people believe that with so many in the nation, one voice, one vote will not matter, it doesn’t have to be true.

Perhaps the government has decayed, so much so that we no longer have a vote but rather one note in the suggestion box. But even if that is true, we can make a difference by swamping the suggestion box until they have to pay attention to us. Do not go down without fighting. Don’t let the system go down without fighting for it.

Now is the time to make a change. We sit at the apex of change and have an opportunity to say that enough is enough. To stand up and say that this is not what we want, we don’t want a system that sacrifices the needs of the many to satisfy the over inflated, fat cat egos that make up Washington. Why should we have to just listen to these people who don’t understand what it is like to be part of the normal majority? These people are not representatives, they have bought positions by selling their opinions to large corporations or by using family money.

Much like love, we accept the governmental policy we think that we deserve. It is time for the American people to realize that we deserve a fair and equal government, focused on the will of the people, such as it was written down in the founding of our country.

Don’t just roll over and accept corruption. Stand up for our country and your beliefs.

Isaac Morley is a sophomore Business Administration and English Education double major. Follow him on Twitter @Isaac_Morley. Please send in letters, feedback, and guest columns to Letters@collegian.com.