CSU employees should be recognized for their labor

Res SteckerAfter our most recent snowstorm, I must say that I was particularly impressed with how fast the roads and sidewalks were cleaned up and made usable for all of the students that day.

Upon realizing that I could actually walk around without looking like a newborn gazelle on skates, I was particularly happy with our school. It is so nice when the sidewalks don’t seem to be trying out to be ice rinks. Other businesses in the area left a lot to be desired when it came to cleaning up after both of our recent storms.

This is something to be proud of, and indeed thankful for. So many employees work so hard at our university to ensure that we keep on functioning as best as possible. And it is not just through the snow storm, thousands of people work hard on our campus day in and day out and they are really what makes CSU a top-class institution.

I know that I am personally grateful to the wonderful people at Student Financial Services, whose staff are always incredibly courteous, respectful, and helpful with any situation or questions that I have. And this part of Colorado State is just one example of the many great things that the employees of CSU do for everyone.

I’ve already mentioned snow removal, and those people are absolute champs that plow our streets and sidewalks when let’s face it, most of us wouldn’t even get out of bed without serious coercing or necessity to be in class. If anyone deserves a round of applause for their work over the last two weeks, it is these fine men and women.

I think it is also important to remember that all the people that help us with getting through the tasks and trials of our daily lives are choosing to be an employee at CSU. All the employees here are choosing to work at our university, and I think that really says something about the character of the people who work here.

Some people could probably even seek out employment that may offer better pay or benefits, but the men and women that go to work at our fine school every day choose to do so, and I think that is pretty neat. This is especially apparent when you meet individuals who really care about the students and the well-being of everyone on campus.

Some of the most wonderful people I have met here during my three years of school are the men and women that work at CSUPD. Any time I have talked to one of these individuals, I really get the sense that they care about the students that go here, and all of them believe it is more than just a paycheck. I think we are extremely lucky to have that group of people working to keep us safe. It could easily be much different. Instead we have amazing people that work to help out students and they certainly do not get enough positive recognition for the great benefit they are to Colorado State University.

Finally, I think a special recognition should go out to the students who are employed by the University. From the very helpful people at the TILT building, to the extremely dedicated people that work the dining halls, to the girl that smiles every time she serves our coffee orders in the Behavioral Sciences Building, it takes a whole different level of dedication to work and go to school at the same time. I think we can all agree that this rings true even more so here at CSU than some other places, as we all really put out top quality work when it comes down to it.

If I have failed to mention anyone here, which I am sure I have due to limited word count and the simple fact that there are so many great people here, I apologize. But know that I, as well as everyone at CSU, thank you for everything you do to keep our university running, and running well. Employees here may not get the recognition they deserve, but your contributions and indeed your necessity to our campus are not unnoticed.

Also, whoever mows the grass at CSU is simply amazing. That would drive me nuts personally, all those green fields. So thank you for doing that weekly, and making sure we do not live in the Serengeti.

Res Stecker is a junior international studies major. His columns appear Thursdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.