A riot for no good reason

UPDATE: Students involved in rioting behavior ‘will be held accountable’Many are afraid to touch this recent topic. I understand why. It’s not something to be taken lightly, seeing as we’re one of the top ten most underrated party schools in America and because a large portion of the student body was actually in attendance. The subject I’m referring to is the one that seems to be on the tip of everyone’s tongue, the riot that occurred Saturday night. Stating an opinion on this seems to have a very polarizing effect. I can say that the party was “dope” as so many people on various social media websites have quipped, or I can say how I truly feel, and that is we Rams should be incredibly ashamed of ourselves.

I refer to the school in the uniform sense, because we are all responsible for this. Why you may ask? Because we as a school engaged ourselves in a riot. Now this sort of thing happens, right? Yes, in fact, in the last four years, there have been other incidents of riots between the Megaparty of 2011, or the Old Town and Laurel Street riots. Not only did heinous acts of violence and belligerence occur this weekend, but in this instance, we allowed mob rule to take over. Not a single person there thought for themselves because the “we can’t all get in trouble” mentality took over. Then the tear gas rolled in after several attempts by the police to keep the crowds under control and to stop the party before serious damage was done. This didn’t stop us apparently as many of the party-goers reacted violently to the authorities. Several attempted to break into the nearby homes, one of which belonging to a mother with a 4-month-old girl.

In 2011, the Egyptians used the medium of riots and social media presence to non-violently protest strict and inhumane policies enacted by the current Mubarak regime. Not two days ago, the Rams used this same medium to violently take pride in what is sure to mean the end of CSUPD tolerance.

Jack Krause is a freshman journalism major.