How to dress like the stars at the Oscars

Who cares if you didn’t get to go to the Oscars? You can still dress up for an event like you had the option to but decided staying home and watching The Walking Dead was more important.

After scanning RenttheRunway, I found some dresses that look like they were inspired by the gowns worn by the stars. You’ve never heard of Rent the Runway? Then you have been missing out! Rent the Runway is a company that allows you to rent designer gowns and cocktail dresses from for 4-8 days at a fraction of the retail price. It is the best way to feel like a million bucks without spending a fortune. Below are my three picks for how to dress like the stars at the Oscars.

ZJ164dd9757a3ea77a8661fd132db13210b

Photo courtesy: Rent the Runway                    Photo courtesy: Jason Merritt/Getty Images

Reese Witherspoon

Reese is the queen of wearing classic, elegant, and glamorous gowns. Everytime she dresses up, she does it right. Reese stunned at the Oscars in a custom Tom Ford gown. This Zoë Jordan sheath is a great example of black and white color blocking done well, similar to the style Reese had. The best part about the Zoë Jordan dress? It costs $40 to rent.

Sidenote: The necklace shown (left) on the model is not a part of the dress, which means you can add statement earrings or your own statement necklace.

77611ee76cd295a46ee15df9e4146e5d

RA16

Photo courtesy: Rent the Runway                     Photo courtesy: Jason Merritt/Getty Images

Rosamund Pike 

I’m still pretty bitter about Rosamund not getting Best Actress for Gone Girl, but at least she looked impeccable! Take that Julianne Moore!

The Reem Acra dress from Rent the Runway is a bit pricey to rent ($350 to rent here, compared to $2,750 if you wanted to buy it) but just looked so much like Rosamund’s Givenchy gown that I couldn’t help it! Here is a cheaper version similar to Rosemund’s look.

NM105f2d29757fcbad5e0a6294c65dcc28561

Photo Courtesy: Rent the Runway               Photo courtesy: Jason Merritt/Getty Images 

Jessica Chastain

Even though Jessica wasn’t nominated for any awards this year, we can all agree that she nailed it on the red carpet and at least deserves a best dressed award.

The Nicole Miller sequined dress from Rent the Runway, found here, mimics the sparkles underneath Jessica’s gown’s bodice. It also hugs the curves in the same way Jessica’s Givenchy gown does.

The next time you go to Dillard’s or Nordstroms to buy a dress (that we both know there’s a 99% chance you’ll wear once) check out Rent the Runway and see if you can get an even better dress at a better price.

Celine Wolff can be reached at blogs@collegian.com and on her twitter page @wolff_celine. For more, follow She Has Class on Pinterest.