Corporate Grocers are Making Us Lazy

English: Surplus Commodities Program. (53227(1...
English: Surplus Commodities Program. (53227(1770), 00/00/1936, 27-0844a.gif) (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

As of late, the average American grocery store is a giant conglomeration of a multitude of items, most of which we as humans don’t need and should steer clear of.

By this, I mean that almost every corporate grocery store chain carries so many varieties that we are either confused on which ones are the good ones or we just give up because there’s too many to choose from.  When I say that corporate grocery stores are making US lazy, it refers to the U.S. and corporate grocers are the chains of retail grocers who have multiple stores in more than 2 states.

This type of grocery store hires consultants to run tests and surveys that tell the directors of the stores what types of products the local ares are going to be purchasing more than other items, mostly related to the geography of the stores. once this is done, the managers an directors of these store contact vendors and warehouses to start filling in the store with what they believe will be the desired products.

This is where it begins to become a mind shatteringly confusing procedure just to go buy an apple or a brand of ketchup or canned beans.  These vendors and warehouses start contacting sub-affiliates of their brands and before you know it, there are 15 varieties of just one item, next to 12 different brands of the exact same product!

The way this makes us lazy is the fact that we, as humans and consumers like variety but can also get confused easily if we don’t know all the information available for each and every product.

Now, there are those shoppers out there that buy the same thing over and over, with no variation or deviation. There are also the ones who only shop at certain retailers because they want a specific shopping experience or variety.

I’m talking more about the average shopper, going to one to three different retailers within a month with no loyalty or dedication. For these people, I say that you are not alone in your confusion, and you definitely don’t have to be alone when it comes to the laziness factors.  You can choose not to be lazy and shop aggressively and accurately without having to go aisle to aisle, grabbing a slew of items that might not necessarily be want you really want or need. there are steps or action plans you can implement into your shopping routine to expedite the process altogether. This doesn’t mean you should shop online for food or order your groceries from a delivery service, because, come on…that’s just perpetuating the lazy behavior. Here are a few things you could do to become a more knowledgeable shopper and get in and out with what you need and want without all the hassle and stress that sometimes comes with grocery stores:

1. Walk to a nearby store- this creates a hunger for products that nourish the body and helps you steer clear of the items that are poison to the body in one way or another.

2. Bring your own reusable bags- unless you have a dog or use the plastic bags at stores as small trash can liners, you really don’t need them, and all they do is create extra waste in the dumps.

3. Visit a local “Mom and Pop” grocer-  These offer a few different varieties with not a lot of name brand variations and a much more comfortable and down-home feel.

4. Don’t shop hungry!-  This creates a notion in the mind that everything is up for grabs, and you usually go for the items that look quick, sugary, deep-fried, and tasty. you also usually make rash decisions that do not support a healthy body.

5. Organic isn’t always the most healthy- there are lists out there that provide items that are good/bad for you that are both organic or conventional.

6. Don’t be lazy!- when you see a trip hazard or spill, let someone know. if you see someone struggling to grab an item on the top shelf, ask them if you can help.  Don’t just stand at the checkout and watch the cashier do everything when it’s really busy; help out!