Best of CSU: Behind The Mayor of Old Town

Offering the largest array of beer in Fort Collins, you will be in goods hands at Best of CSU bar The Mayor of Old Town. Photo by Natasha Leadem

Since July of 2011 The Mayor of Old Town has been bringing Coloradans the largest variety of beer on tap, from small breweries close to home to the international classics we have all come to know and love. But there’s more to this premier tap house than just great beer and delicious food. The Mayor owners, Barb and Kevin Bolin, have made it their mission to serve, educate and inspire the beer-loving residents of Fort Collins.

After selling their real estate business and travelling around the globe, the Bolins noticed the vast variety of beer available elsewhere in the world. The pair decided to return home to Fort Collins and open a bar in an effort to bring options to the growing brewery culture in the ‘Napa Valley of beer.’

“We have 100 beers on tap with 30 of these available for most of the year, and the other 70 as one-keg rotators,” Kevin Bolin explains. “We listen to our customers and get approached by breweries and beer reps daily so are always trying new samples to put on our menu. We work hard to uphold the quality of our beer and this attention to detail helps to make us better.”

They must be doing something right. In 2012, The Mayor was listed as one of the Top 100 Beer bars in the Nation by Draft Magazine, Top 3 Regional Beer Bars by Craftbeer.com and one of Playboy Magazine’s Top 5 Beer Bars in America — awards that Kevin Bolin admits came as a complete surprise to him and his wife.

“The first year we opened, we came out of the gates real strong, but it was an honor and great for business,” Kevin Bolin says. “We are very appreciative of that.”

But one of the major factors that keep customers coming back is the Bolin’s steadfast approach to beer education and culture. With a relaxed ambience, passionate and knowledgeable staff, 26 feet of taps and an even longer bar, The Mayor is the perfect place to learn.

“If you are interested in trying out and learning about new beers we provide a cool atmosphere and a non-intimidating environment to do this,” Kevin Bolin says. “We even have a smart-phone app to teach people about the different beers we have on tap and are embracing new technologies to better serve our customers.”

College Avenue reporter Lucy Bode can be reached at collegeavenue@collegian.com.