Do you have “white wall syndrome”?

Dried green paint
Dried green paint (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

If you’ve found yourself guilty of “white wall syndrome,” Renter’s Paint, a CSU Crowdfunding business, is a new avenue for renters to bring some color into their home within the confines of a lease.

To satisfy every renter’s desire to transform a rented house or apartment into a home, Renter’s Paint provides temporary wall coloring solutions. Beginning their business launch on CSU college students, Renter’s Paint has been working with local property managers seeking their support to bring in investors. Working through already established companies has allowed Renter’s Paint to reach hundreds of potential clients.

The company began in a CSU classroom among three friends: Hunter Hughes, CEO, co-founder, and CSU alum; Samantha Gagas, CFO, co-founder, and CSU alum; and Adolphus Busch, co-founder and CSU student.

“In college, me and my partners came together in our accounting class we shared,” Hughes said.  “Being entrepreneurs, we said ‘Hey, let’s actually do something,’ and from there we put together our ideas and said ‘What are we most positive about?’  Renter’s Paint stood out as the one we were all passionate about,” Hughes said.

“It’s a self-adhesive wall covering,” Gagas said.  “We provide the product in rolls, and it’s so easy — two people can put it up in about 30 minutes,” Gagas said.

The group was young at the time, eager to put their ideas into action, but starting a business has not been a piece of cake for Renter’s Paint. After receiving about 2,000 interest letters from potential clients, Renter’s Paint is seeking investors to start their company. The group is currently utilizing CSU’s Crowdfunding platform through the College of Business’ Institute for Entrepreneurship to gain support from the Fort Collins community.

“Crowdfunding is where a lot of people can make small contributions to make lots of money for a specific project,” said Meg Weber, CSU Crowdfunding’s executive director of annual giving and donor relations.  “What’s neat about it is you can see how much a small gift can do.”

Launched in June, Crowdfunding is in beta test mode focusing on two projects, one of which is through CSU’s College of Business. Students and alumni, such as Hughes, Gagas, and Busch, can go through the Venture Accelerator program to seek guidance in launching new businesses.

The goal of Crowdfunding is to administer the platform throughout other CSU colleges, departments and units this fall to help young business owners gain the support of their community to financially succeed.

Content producer Sarah Prinz can be reached at news@collegian.com.