Manning a Bronco Thanks to Patriots

Football fans will be clamoring for Tim Tebow to be the starting quarterback by the end of this week. However, he will be taking snaps in a gang green uniform of the New York Jets rather than the orange and blue of the Denver Broncos.

English: Josh McDaniels at the 2009 Denver Bro...
English: Josh McDaniels at the 2009 Denver Broncos Fan Fair (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Mark Sanchez has looked brutal this season, as has the entire Jets offense. If Jets coach Rex Ryan had the audacity similar to John Fox, he would be utilizing Tebow in an expanded role to help jettison his club. Frankly, Ryan should feel lucky he has Tebow.

As the quarterback of the Broncos, Tebow sported a 9-7 record. He garnered hours and hours of media criticism daily for his elongated throwing motion and lack of true NFL quarterback abilities. Supporters of the former Florida Gator argued that his unconventional style did not matter because, according to DJ Steve Porter, “all he does is win.”

With extraordinary help from his defense and special teams units, Tebow made a habit of squeaking out victorious in a several games. He instantly became the center of the sports world and made Bronco fans believers again. A lot of people even thought that Tebow would be the next best Denver quarterback since John Elway.

Even though the Broncos tiptoed into the playoffs at an unimpressive 8-8 by virtue of a tiebreaker, Tebow proved he could step up during the big game with an incredible performance against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The next week, though, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots knocked Tebow off cloud nine in a hurry, scoring 35 points in the first half alone.

The Broncos will be looking to avenge their shellacking they received from the Patriots in the AFC Divisional Playoffs last season. However, Bronco fans might want to thank New England coach Bill Belichick and his squad for dismantling Tim Tebow and company. What would have happened if the Broncos made the game interesting, only losing by a score or two? Would John Elway and Pat Bowlen still had given Manning the full-court press and lured him to Denver?

Even as a backup, Tebow still receives grief regularly from outsiders. Before the 2012 season began, CBS commentator Boomer Esiason vocalized his criticism for Tebow, saying that the Jets should either make him a special teams player or release him altogether.

Remember who was responsible for bringing Tebow to the NFL in the first place? That would be former Broncos’ head coach Josh McDaniels, the current offensive coordinator of the New England Patriots.

During his time in Denver, McDaniels compiled a mediocre record of 11-17. He remains notorious in Colorado for shoving many of former coach Mike Shanahan’s players out the door, forcing an eventual trade of now-Chicago Bear quarterback Jay Cutler before the two even had a practice together and, probably most importantly, making numerous Draft Day decisions that backfired.

NFL teams cannot be successful if they do not draft well. In 2009, the Broncos had two first round picks in the first 18 overall selections. McDaniels chose running back Knowshon Moreno and defensive end Robert Ayers. Here are some of the players that McDaniels missed that have become great players in the league: Brian Orakpo, Brian Cushing, Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Clay Matthews and Hakeem Nicks. Consider how much better the Broncos could have been over the years with an all-pro linebacker like Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews creating havoc on defense.

The best decisions on Draft Day that McDaniels made were in 2010 when he selected Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow in the first round. Instead of preparing for the triple option style the Broncos used last year with Tebow, Bill Belichick and his staff have the daunting task of getting ready for Peyton Manning.

Sunday’s matchup will undoubtedly have the feel of a playoff atmosphere. Both coaches probably do not expect their defenses to completely shut down the opposing offense. If the Broncos can hold the Patriots to 30 points or fewer, they have a chance. Manning might be looking more and more like his old self, but it will be tough for his club to win in Foxborough if the offense has to put up more than 35 points.

Get ready for a classic Brady-Manning slugfest. The game’s result might hinge on which team has the ball last. Hopefully, the game’s score will inspire Bronco fans to fill mailboxes with thank-you notes addressed to Belichick and McDaniels for their Hall of Fame quarterback.