The Student News Site of Colorado State University

The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Student News Site of Colorado State University

The Rocky Mountain Collegian

The Student News Site of Colorado State University

The Rocky Mountain Collegian

Print Edition
Letter to the editor submissions
Have a strong opinion about something happening on campus or in Fort Collins? Want to respond to an article written on The Collegian? Write a Letter to the Editor by following the guidelines here.
Follow Us on Twitter
How to Increase eCommerce Sales with SEO
How to Increase eCommerce Sales with SEO
February 28, 2024

With the development of the online shopping market, SEO has become a crucial factor in driving targeted traffic and increasing sales. Effective...

Students evacuated from Gifford after smelling smoke

Students and faculty were evacuated from Gifford Friday morning after smelling smoke on the second floor. According to Poudre Fire Authority, the smoke was a result of a ventilation unit that had overheated. (Haley Candelario | Collegian)

Students and faculty were evacuated from the Gifford Building around 10 a.m. Friday after smelling smoke on the second floor of the building. 

Madeline Noblett, Poudre Fire Authority’s Public Affairs and Communications Manager, said the firefighters on scene determined a ventilation unit that overheated was the probable cause of the smoke that led to the evacuation.

Ad

“(The captain overseeing the incident) said the probable determination was that a ventilation unit in the basement likely overheated and caused the smoke seen on the second floor,” Noblett wrote in a statement to the Collegian.

Noblett said the initial 911 call came in around 9:54 a.m. to report a possible structure fire.

According to Noblett people had evacuated the Gifford Building by the time Poudre Fire Authority crews arrived on the scene. 

Noblett said the crew initially suspected that the light haze of smoke in a classroom on the second floor of the building was coming from a fan belt in a ventilation building on the roof.

Tyler Klene and Brittany Conroy, graduate students in design and merchandising, said they were in class on the first floor of the building when they smelled something burning.

“It kind of smelled like burning tar,” Klene said.

Klene said he assumed the smell came from the tar being put down on the road between the Gifford Building and Aylesworth Hall.

Firefighters allowed students and faculty to re-enter the building around 11 a.m.

Collegian reporter Haley Candelario can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @H_Candelario98.

Ad

Leave a Comment
More to Discover

Hey, thanks for visiting Collegian.com!
We’d like to ask you to please disable your ad blocker when looking at our site — advertising revenue directly supports our student journalists and allows us to bring you more content like this.

Comments (0)

When commenting on The Collegian’s website, please be respectful of others and their viewpoints. The Collegian reviews all comments and reserves the right to reject comments from the website. Comments including any of the following will not be accepted. 1. No language attacking a protected group, including slurs or other profane language directed at a person’s race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, social class, age, physical or mental disability, ethnicity or nationality. 2. No factually inaccurate information, including misleading statements or incorrect data. 3. No abusive language or harassment of Collegian writers, editors or other commenters. 4. No threatening language that includes but is not limited to language inciting violence against an individual or group of people. 5. No links.
All The Rocky Mountain Collegian Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *