Olympic figure skater campaigns for Clinton on campus Thursday

Olympic gold medalist figure skater Michelle Kwan was on campus campaigning for Hillary Clinton on Thursday.

Kwan said she is raising voter awareness for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign on college campuses across Colorado.

The five-time world champion figure skater said she has been traveling around the state to register students to vote, update student’s voter information and help students understand the importance of their vote in the upcoming presidential election.

According to the United States Census Bureau, Colorado’s largest age group of voters is 18 to 44.

“There are 68 more days until the election,” Kwan said. “There is so much at stake and that is why it’s important to make sure your vote counts and is heard.”

Kwan is no stranger to Colorado. After her Olympic career, she attended school at the University of Denver where she went on to get a degree in international studies. She then earned a Masters degree in foreign policy.

“I have a connection to Colorado,” Kwan said. “After I finished my Olympic career I moved to Colorado.”

IMG_7069.JPG
A CSU student takes a selfie with Michelle Kwan during her visit to campus campaigning for Hillary Clinton. Photo credit: Elliott Jerge

CSU, the University of Denver and the University of Colorado Boulder were among the schools Kwan stopped at to campaign for Clinton.

Students helped coordinate the Olympic athlete’s visit to campus.

“I am here campaigning for Hillary Clinton … to make sure that there is attention and awareness that the stakes are high in this election,” Kwan said.

Kwan encouraged students to get involved in the political process this election season.

“For the folks that want to volunteer, there are so many offices across the state where you can help and get involved,” Kwan said.

IMG_7088.JPG
Michelle Kwan speaks with students outside the LSC during her visit to campus while campaigning for Hillary Clinton. Photo credit: Elliott Jerge

This is not Kwan’s first time working in politics. She was named a United States public diplomacy envoy in 2006. Kwan’s time as a public diplomacy envoy for the U.S. State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs led her to places like Singapore where she taught youth figure skating and worked with government officials.

“I had to opportunity, and honor, to work for Secretary Clinton while she was Secretary of State,” Kwan said. “She is the most qualified candidate in history, and really we need someone with that background.”

Collegian reporter Savannah Hoag can be reached online at news@collegian.com or via Twitter @sav_hoag.