Concealed carry permits near 14,000 in Larimer county

Nearly 14,000 people are registered to have concealed carry weapons in Larimer County, and since the beginning of 2016, about 2,000 more permits have been issued, according to the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office.

“Of these totals, last year, we denied 19 applicants and suspended or revoked 22 current permit holders,” wrote Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith on his public Facebook page. “In other words, less than two tenths of one percent of permit holders had their permit suspended or revoked during the year.”

In 1999, there were 527 permit holders compared to the nearly 14,000 in 2016. However, the population has also increased since 1999.

There were 246,884 living in Larimer County in 1999, compared to 315,988 in 2013, according to the United States Census Bureau.

But, the percentage of concealed carry permit holders has increased since 1999. From 1999 to 2013, the percentage of people who had a concealed carry permit in the county increased from 0.2 percent to 3.2 percent.

At CSU, concealed carry weapons are permitted on campus with a few exceptions. The weapon must be concealed, the person must have the permit on hand, and weapons are not allowed in dining halls, residence halls or health network facilities.

Michael Horanburg and Jerry Kraus from the National Rifle Association hosted a presentation at a College Republicans event on Tuesday. About 35 people were in attendance.

Horanburg spoke about the purpose of the NRA and what their goals are with gun safety and control. They encouraged all the people in attendance to get involved with the NRA and help keep the Second Amendment in place.

Some students said they feel safer knowing that other students have concealed carry weapons on campus.

“(The idea that students have concealed carry permits on campus) makes me happy because it comforts me knowing that there (are) law abiding citizens that have guns to protect themselves and other people,” said Declan Watts, a freshman fermentation sciences major.

However, other students do not support allowing guns on campus.

Maegan Garcia, a freshman theatre major, said that having weapons on campus makes her uncomfortable.

“There are so many things that a taser could take care of,” Garcia said. “I don’t really like the idea of some random guy having a gun in his pocket in my classes.”

The CSUPD does not issue permits and they do not provide any weapons training.

For students who live in campus housing, firearms can be stored in the Green Hall at the police station. It costs $20 to rent a locker for the year and there is 24/7 access to checking a firearm in or out.

Students from out of state that have a concealed carry permit from their home state and are over the age of 21 are recognized as permit holders in the state of Colorado. Valid driver’s license or state issued ID is required.

Colorado state concealed carry permits are issued to people that can legally own a gun, pass a background check and take a handgun training course. Permit holders and gun carriers are also expected to not be a hazard to themselves or other people.

To obtain a permit, an application must be submitted to the Larimer County Sheriff’s Department. There is a total processing fee of $152.50. Applicants must provide proof of residency, documentation of training with a handgun, a fingerprint card and a photograph.

Permits are valid statewide and do not need to be transferred between counties. However, a change of address must be reported within 30 days to the original issuing agency.

More information about weapons permits in Larimer County can be found on the Larimer County Sheriff’s website, and more detailed information about weapons on campus can be found on the CSUPD website.

Collegian reporter Hailey Deaver can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @autumn_hail.