Update: Police say no assault occurred near Jack Christensen Memorial Track

Update April 10According to an email sent by the CSU Public Safety Team April 8, “no assault occurred” at the track on March 28 as previously reported.

“After investigation, it was determined that some of the information initially provided to the CSU Police was false and no assault occurred at this location,” the email read. 

The email listed resources for people to use in order to get home safe, including SafeWalk and RamRide. The email also asked people to report any suspicious activity they witness to CSUPD.

Original: A woman was assaulted near the Jack Christensen Memorial Track at 11:30 a.m. Monday, according to a report from the CSU Police Department.

The suspect was described as a “light-skinned male with medium length brown hair and a beard” and “between 6 feet one inch and 6 feet 3 inches” according to the victim, and was reportedly wearing black sweatpants, a black hoodie and a dark beanie hat.

The attacker may have visible facial injuries inflicted by the victim, and could be driving an older black Toyota, although these claims have not been confirmed.

There have been multiple reports of assaults at the Jack Christensen track and near campus in the last three years at CSU. In fall 2013, two assaults occurred within two months of each other under similar circumstances, with a third occurring mid-November. 

“Students are encouraged to report anyone who appears to be acting suspiciously to CSUPD,” according to a public safety announcement. “Trust your instincts and do not minimize what you are seeing or experiencing if you see something that does not feel right.”

Anyone with information about the assault are asked to contact CSUPD at (970) 491-6425.

Collegian News Editor Erik Petrovich can be reached at news@collegian.com or via Twitter @EAPetrovich.