Petitioning begins to change U+2 housing ordinance to Me+3

Erin Douglas

The Associated Students of Colorado State University, a student organization that oversees $2.4 million of student fees, began petitioning Wednesday at 11 a.m. to change the housing occupancy ordinance from “U+2” to “Me+3”. ASCSU will petition from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. every day for the next 60 days.

U+2_Plaza_Parr
ASCSU director of community affairs, Edward Kendall (left), and ASCSU President Jason Sydoriak (right) encourage students on the Plaza to sign their petition to abolish the current U+2 law through the city of Fort Collins. (Photo credit: Abbie Parr.)

If the organization is able to obtain 3,400 signatures from registered Fort Collins voters, the initiative will appear on the ballot during the next regular city election on April 4, 2017.

“(Petitioning) is a huge milestone for students that they have been advocating for, for 10 years,” said Jason Sydoriak, president of ASCSU. “Right now, the rhetoric of the city is that U+2 is a compromise. But, no one has ever given us (students) a seat at the table to actually put forward our plan. This (petition) is what we believe is a compromise. This is a declaration that we can contribute to how we define the city and the character of the city.”

The legal number of signatures required to get the initiative on the ballot is 10 percent of the number of people who voted in the last city election.

ASCSU’s goal is to obtain 5,000 signatures to account for signatures from people who may not be registered to vote in the city of Fort Collins, said Edward Kendall, ASCSU director of community affairs.

“Really the biggest thing is to ensure that they’re  are registered to vote in the city of Fort Collins if they want to participate,” Sydoriak said.

The initiative proposes to change the current city occupancy limit to allow one more unrelated adult to live in a residence.

Current law allows:

Petition proposes:

3 unrelated adults

• ie: 3 unrelated students can live together

1 family of any size + 1 additional unrelated adult

• ie: 1 family can have 1 unrelated person live with them

1st adult and dependents + 2nd adult and dependents + 1 additional unrelated adult

• ie: If two single parents are living together, only one is allowed to have their partner living in the residence.

2 or more siblings (one family) + 1 additional unrelated adult

• ie: any number of siblings count as one family, and can have one unrelated person living with them.

4 unrelated adults

• ie: 4 unrelated students could live together

1 family of any size, two additional unrelated adults

• ie: 1 family can have 2 unrelated persons live with them

1st adult and dependents + 2nd adult and dependents + 2 additional unrelated adult

• ie: If two single parents are living together, both would be allowed to have their partners living in the residence.

2 or more siblings (one family) + 2 additional unrelated adults

• ie: any number of siblings can have 2 unrelated persons living with them.

*Explanation of the law according to Dale Wood, senior compliance inspector for the City of Fort Collins and the City of Fort Collins Website.

Collegian ASCSU reporter Erin Douglas can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @erinmdouglas23.