BREAKING: Jeb Bush suspends presidential campaign after SC fourth-place finish

The race for the Republican nomination just became a little less claustrophobic.

Former Governor of Florida Jeb Bush suspended his bid for the presidency Saturday after finishing with only 8 percent of the Republican vote in South Carolina primaries.

“The people of Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina have spoken, and I really respect their opinion, so tonight I am suspending our campaign,” Bush said. “I congratulate my competitors that are remaining on the island.”

Despite raising more than $160 million in campaign contributions and spending more than $50 million on advertisements alone, Bush faced an election cycle totally unique compared to his father’s or his brother’s. Bush faced attacks from other candidates at every debate, but had a particular feud with businessman Donald Trump, who came first in the South Carolina primaries at 32.2 percent of the vote.

Trump repeatedly attacked the Bush family, and said during a Republican debate, “the World Trade Center came down during your brother’s reign.” 

For many, Bush’s announcement is nothing less than expected. Out of three Republican primaries, Bush never climbed higher than fourth place, coming as low as seventh in Iowa.

Now, there are five: Trump, Cruz, Rubio, Kasich and Carson will head to Nevada for the Feb. 23 Republican primary in the state, which is the last state to report results before Super Tuesday, March 1.

Collegian Assistant News Editor Erik Petrovich can be reached at news@collegian.com or via Twitter @EAPetrovich.