UPDATE: Cause still unknown for fire at Prospect Plaza Monday morning

Update 2:19 p.m. Monday:

The fire that broke out of a bedroom window Monday morning at the Prospect Plaza apartment building was contained in under 15 minutes, according to Patrick Love, public affairs officer with Poudre Fire Authority. Investigators are still working to determine the cause and origin of the fire.

(Photo courtesy of Lawrence Lam)
(Photo courtesy of Lawrence Lam)

Firefighters were originally called to the scene at 250. W. Prospect Rd. by the fire alarm, which sounded at 8:49 a.m.

“Firefighters worked in a coordinated fashion to find and extinguish the fire in addition to searching the entire building for any trapped occupants,” states a press release. 

One residence on the third floor suffered heavy fire damage to the unit, while heavy smoke damage spread throughout the unit. The first and second floors of the building received little smoke damage.

The Prospect Plaza building houses 16 student living units and 22 were evacuated due to the fire. This fire caused $100,000 in damage, according to the press release. 

Update 9:49 a.m. Monday:

Poudre Fire Authority Dispatch Officer 221 Justin said the fire was under control at 9:48 a.m. The cause of the fire is still not clear at this time.

Original:

https://youtu.be/EEG09QtXk8k

Video courtesy of Lawrence Lam.

(Photo courtesy of Lawrence Lam)
(Photo courtesy of Lawrence Lam.)

A fire burned from the Prospect Plaza apartment building just east of the Lake Street Garage Monday around 9 a.m. The fire was on the third floor facing south.

It is not clear how the fire started. There were at least six firetrucks and three ambulances on the scene at 9:15 a.m. Poudre Valley Hospital authorities on the scene said no one was hurt as of 9:22 a.m., when firemen were running inside with axes.

These apartments are not owned by Colorado State University.

Stay with the Collegian for updates on this developing story.

Collegian News Editor Christina Vessa can be reached online at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @ChrissyVessa.