More Canstruction: Greek life partners with SLiCE to kick off annual food drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLTWKk8sa9M&feature=youtu.be

Video by Erin Douglas.

Twice as many groups signed up this year for Canstruction compared to last year. Student groups were building sculptures on the plaza Wednesday to draw attention to Cans Around the Oval, the upcoming Larimer County food drive.

Cans Around the Oval will take place from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday at the Oval. Canstruction kicked off this annual event by collecting 5,102 pounds of food Wednesday. 

Fraternity and sorority life partnered with SLiCE to increase the number of student groups participating in Canstruction. Photo by Erin Douglas

This year, Fraternity and Sorority Life partnered with the Office of Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement. This partnership raised the number of student groups in Canstruction from eight last year to 16 this year, according to Kira Mazzola, the Canstruction coordinator with SLiCE.

“We’re strengthening the Greek community by doing hard work for a great cause,” said Taylor Brackney, sophomore member of Chi Omega. “It’s good to go out and support a broader cause, rather than always focusing on your specific philanthropy.”

All cans are donated to the Food Bank for Larimer County. The food bank is providing for nearly 36,000 people in need each year, according to the Food Bank for Larimer County website.

Canstruction 2015 (3)
Sorority member helps to build her group’s “canstruction.” Photo by Erin Douglas

One out of every 10 people in Larimer County is food insecure, according to Mazzola. Food insecurity is when a person is not sure where or how their next meal will be available.

“We try to focus on the fact that this event is helping people in need and it’s a relevant topic for our community and for our students,” said Mazzola. “Canstruction is fun to do and you’re really saving people’s lives.”

Cans Around the Oval has grown into Larimer County’s largest single-day food drive, according to SOURCE

Since the event began 29 years ago, Cans Around the Oval has collected 1.4 million pounds of food, according to the Food Bank for Larimer CountyLast year, over 100 groups in the CSU and Fort Collins community donated cans, collecting a total of 47,470 pounds of food.

“Canstruction brings awareness to a good cause,” said Danielle Reimanis, junior Canstruction participant representing the Warner College of Natural Resources. “It is also an engaging way to volunteer where you can be creative.”

Collegian Reporter Erin Douglas can be reached online at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @ErinmDouglas23.