CSU alumna dead, four injured in crash Sunday

A Colorado State University alumna was killed and four other Fort Collins women were injured in a two-car crash late Sunday afternoon at the intersection of U.S. Highway 287 and Larimer County Road 54G. The crash occurred between a 2008 Toyota Prius and a 2005 Nissan Xterra.

21-year-old Jozenn Walters, a passenger in the Prius, died on the scene of the accident, according to Colorado State Patrol Public Information Officer Nate Reid.

Walters graduated from CSU in spring 2015 with a degree in sociology. 

Amy Clark, a 25-year-old CSU graduate student and the driver of the Prius, has charges pending for the accident.

Clark and the three other passengers in the Prius were taken to the hospital. CSU hospitality management student Sierra Allred was taken to the Medical Center of the Rockies by helicopter for serious injuries. She was no longer listed as a patient there Monday morning, according to a Coloradoan article.

Clark and Brynna Ashton, a CSU music student, were taken to Poudre Valley Hospital and were not listed as patients as of Monday morning. Krystal Van-Es was also taken to Poudre Valley Hospital and was in fair condition as of Monday morning. 

“Our university community is very saddened to hear of this tragic accident. Our thoughts are with the injured students and their families and friends as these students begin their journey to recovery,” CSU Spokesperson Mike Hooker wrote in an email to the Collegian. “Our heartfelt condolences go to the family and friends of Ms. Walters for their loss.”

According to Reid, Clark was headed westbound on CR 54G and stopped at the stop sign at Highway 287. When she tried turning left onto 287, she pulled in front of the Xterra that was heading southbound on the highway. The Xterra hit the left rear side of the Prius. The Prius rotated 180 degrees and came to a rest in the northbound lanes of Highway 287. The Xterra rolled onto its top and landed in the median of the highway.

The driver of the Xterra, Ryan Nelson, was uninjured. 

Drugs or alcohol are not suspected to be involved and everyone in the car was wearing seatbelts.

“We know tragedies such as this one impact many of our university community members,” Hooker wrote. “We have support within our campus community to help students, faculty and staff deal with this sad accident. Support each other and seek resources if you need them.” 

CSU students can meet with a counselor at the CSU Health Network and faculty and staff can reach out for support through the Employee Assistance Program.

Collegian Breaking News Editor Sady Swanson can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @sadyswan.