Active CSU students make use of rec center, off-campus gyms

As summer is drawing to an end and the weather cools down, Colorado State University students may be trying to find ways to stay active indoors. Between the local fitness centers the city has to offer and the CSU Recreation Center’s wide variety of classes, there is an endless amount of activities to enjoy.

CSU health and exercise science major, Ashlee Perkins 22, pracices her boxing wednesday morning at City Choice Boxing Strength and Conditioning gym.
CSU health and exercise science major, Ashlee Perkins 22, pracices her boxing wednesday morning at City Choice Boxing Strength and Conditioning gym. (Photo credit: Amanda Garcia)

The campus Rec Center offers services such as rock climbing, lifting weights, yoga and dance classes, which students like junior Ray Spencer find to be just enough. Spencer said he enjoys lifting weights on campus because the Rec Center provides what he needs to accomplish a successful workout.

“The gym fee is included in tuition and it makes it convenient to work out every day,” he said.

He also said that he tries to go to the Rec Center every day at 6 a.m. to avoid the lines that form next to the machines later in the day after more students arrive.

Crowded space is a major reason some students find a way to workout elsewhere. According to the CSU Rec Center’s Communications Manager, Brittany Heiring, on Sept. 9 about 59,600 swipes had been recorded from students entering the rec since Aug. 21. She said almost all group fitness classes had been regularly reaching maximum capacity. That is why junior Dani Strobel prefers other fitness centers to the one on campus.

“I go to the gym at Ram’s Village [Apartments] because it’s not as crowded and closer to home,” Strobel said.

Strobel said she also enjoys attending hot yoga classes at Core Power Yoga on South College Avenue because it is something CSU does not offer.

Other specialized fitness centers around the city, such as Fort Collins Choice City Boxing, are not receiving enough student participation, according to Shane Swartz, owner.

Swartz said his business has been in Fort Collins for 20 years, but lately, the thought of possibly closing down due to insufficient numbers has been a concern. Even though his facility offers a wide range of classes, from beginner to competing, as well as student deals, the gym is not receiving enough business.

“[Boxing] is a great way to stay in shape,” he said. “Don’t let the cost of living hinder this amazing opportunity.”

His business is just one of many fitness centers around the city that offer students a new way to work out other than what the CSU Rec Center provides on campus.

Collegian Reporter Katy Mueller can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @katymueller13.