Firearms on campus: regulations at Colorado State University

Community members with questions about their own weaponry, or the behavior of others, can review Colorado State University’s policies.

Carrying a concealed handgun is allowed on campus. However, firearms may not be carried in the following places: residence halls, CSU apartments, health network facilities or campus dining centers. Students living or dining in CSU facilities waive any legal right to possess weapons in those areas.

Individuals carrying concealed weapons on campus must have a lawful Colorado concealed weapons permit, although permits from other states may be accepted under certain circumstances. Colorado concealed weapons permits can only be issued by a Colorado sheriff, not the CSU Police Department.

Any person who knowingly, unlawfully and without legal authority brings a deadly weapon to campus commits a Class Six felony. Penalties can range from one to 1 1/2 years in prison and a $1,000 to $100,000 fine. 

“Other than the rare approved demonstration or by law enforcement officers, open carry is not permitted on campus under state law,” CSU spokesman Mike Hooker wrote in an email to the Collegian

The man who brought a replica gun into the Morgan Library last week, Daniel King, was charged with disorderly conduct for displaying a simulated weapon, a Class Two misdemeanor, according to court record. He has since been released from the Larimer County Jail.

Non-working firearms can be brought to campus for an authorized public demonstration or instruction in conjunction with an organized school or class, but the CSUPD must be informed in advance. Inoperative weapons must be transported securely and discreetly.

The CSUPD requires all students residing in residence halls to check and store firearms and all other weapons, such as hunting knives, fencing equipment, archery bows and paintball guns. Stored weaponry may be checked out 24 hours per day and seven days per week by owners showing their CSU ID and firearm pickup tag. Explosives of any nature are prohibited on campus.

Authorized concealed handguns must always be covered with clothing unless being used for defense, and the carrier must always have their handgun permit with them.

Information for this article was collected from the Colorado State University Police Department website.

Collegian Reporter Julia Rentsch can be reached at news@collegian.com and on Twitter @julia_rentsch.