CSU named one of top 10 universities for Obama to consider prior to negotiating international climate plan

University students across the nation are attempting to create a national movement for climate health through Climate Reality’s Know Tomorrow Campaign.

Colorado State University is a critical school for President Barack Obama to hear from before heading to Paris to discuss climate change at the 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference in December, according to the Climate Reality Project.

One of the main goals of this campaign is to increase visibility of the issue and make student voices heard, especially in preparation of the world’s first substantive climate agreement in history, which will take place at the conference.

“Know Tomorrow could empower students to stand up and speak out against the profound injustice that is climate change while also supporting students in further developing leadership skills that allow them to effectively communicate with their community and organize them around important issues,” said Marissa Bramlett, a Climate Reality Project participant and activist at CSU.

Countries are required to come to the table in Paris with plans of how they will domestically cut greenhouse gas emissions, according to Bramlett.

The United States’ goal is to cut 32 percent of its emissions, mostly through coal, by 2030 through the Clean Power Act. Many fossil fuel companies have attempted to gut the Clean Power Act and even halt negotiations in Paris, inspiring students across the nation and at CSU to take action, according to Bramlett.

“If COP21 is to be successful, we must show world leaders that while fossil fuel companies have millions of dollars, there are millions of students speaking out to say that we need to substantively address the climate crisis and we need to do it this December,” Bramlett said.

CSU could become a leader in the movement, according to Jacob Kimiecik, president of the Student Sustainability Center.

“Because (CSU has) had so much success recently in the realm of sustainability,” Kimiecik said, “CSU students could provide a powerful voice urging climate action on the national stage.”

The group has many volunteer opportunities available and hopes to see significant student involvement.

“We need everyone at CSU to get involved,” Bramlett said. 

Collegian Reporter Maddie Stachniak can be reached online at news@collegian.com.