Parking permit prices rise, new parking lot to open mid-August

Colorado State University is encouraging alternative transportation through plans to relocate parking away from the center of main campus.

This year, prices for parking permits will rise as construction of a new surface lot and an additional parking garage are progressing.

A new $5.4 million parking lot on Research Drive will open mid-August. This lot will provide 900 additional parking spaces, offsetting the parking space losses that have occurred this summer due to construction. This project is funded through bonds supported by Parking Services revenues, according to the south campus parking lot program plan.

For the 2015-2016 school year, annual staff/faculty permits are now $442, with an increase of $11 per month; commuter student permits are now $407, with an increase of $10 per month; yearly resident hall permits are now $476, with an increase of $10 per month; administrative permits are now $1,844, with an increase of $44 per month; commercial service permits are now $532, with an increase of $12.50 per month; and yearly motorcycle permits are now $209, with an increase of $5 per month. Metered parking has increased to $1.50 per hour.

“While no one is ever happy about rate increases, our rates have long lagged behind those at peer universities and will still compare favorably even with these increases,” stated the CSU construction page.

The new parking lot on Research Drive. (Photo Credit: CSU SOURCE).

The new parking lot on Research Drive will provide A and Z permit spaces, with permit prices discounted for this lot as compared to prices for main campus. Increased alternative transportation services, such as Transfort, will connect this lot to main campus. From this surface lot, Transfort routes 34 and 7 will run every 30 minutes. Both routes will stop at the Lake Street Garage and the Transit Center in the Lory Student Center.

A parking assistance fund for lower-income employees who do not have the option of utilizing alternative transportation will be established before the fall semester begins.

The parking master plan will move parking away from the center of campus, while encouraging alternative transportation, such as the MAX, Transfort, Around the Horn, bicycling and carpooling.  The MAX and Transfort are now free for CSU employees to use. An additional survey has been established to provide feedback to CSU Parking Services.

A map of the most convenient ways to commute around campus can be found here. A map of construction impacts on-campus can be found here.

“With our increased support for biking and carpooling, the addition of off-site parking options and the upcoming construction of the new parking garage on the campus’ east perimeter, we remain committed to the vision of the master plan while also providing an unprecedented range of options for people to get to and move around campus,” stated the CSU construction page.

Collegian Reporter Christina Vessa can be reached online at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @Chrissyvessa.