Colorado State offers international experience to all students

It’s possible to experience international cultures without even leaving the square mile that is Colorado State University’s campus.

CSU welcomed nearly 2,000 new and returning international students to campus for the fall 2015 semester. They come from a variety of countries and from all corners of the world. The highest numbers come from China, India, Saudi Arabia and Oman.

Colorado State international students came to CSU from all over the world to study. Countries represented include India, China, Libya, Saudi Arabia and Indonesia. Colorado State's international student population is nearing 2,000 students. (Photo Credit: Megan Fischer).
Colorado State international students came to CSU from all over the world to study. Countries represented include India, China, Libya, Saudi Arabia and Indonesia. Colorado State’s international student population is nearing 2,000 students. (Photo Credit: Megan Fischer)

These students did not come here just for the scenery, but it was a factor – as were academics for Hao Lu, a graduate student from China studying resource management.

“One day, my professor gave a lecture and showed us some photos, so I decided to think about going abroad,” Lu said. “Fort Collins is also very beautiful, and CSU was good for my major.”

According to Mark Hallett, the senior director at the Office for International Programs, more and more international students are coming to CSU for the academic programs the University offers, as well as after talking to friends who had either studied or traveled to Colorado and Fort Collins.

“I think word of mouth is a big reason why students chose to come here,” Hallett said.

Most of the international students at CSU are studying in areas like science and math, but other areas are also represented.

“I was able to to combine teaching English as a foreign language and English as a second language,” said Mohamed Almadhi, an English master’s degree student. “It is a good program, and that’s why I came to CSU.”

The top countries represented are China with 624 students, India with 313 and Saudi Arabia with 141. These numbers do not include family members who have traveled with students, said Hallett. CSU welcomes international students throughout the year, so the numbers for 2015 are not yet final.

“We are still welcoming students to campus, but we are expecting more than 100 more students to come,” Hallett said.

Hallett said that international students’ presence on campus is not only beneficial for the students who are coming from around the world for academics, but also for domestic students because they can have interactions with international students right on campus.

“It is too easy to have an impersonal perspective about other people around the world, but if you have a personal experience, a student can have a better sense of the variety and the similarity that exists,” Hallett said.

Collegian Reporter Megan Fischer can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @MegFischer04.