Specialized gym and fitness centers in Fort Collins

In the midst of a rigorous workout during one of Pure Barre's afternoon class sessions, Kat Parker stretches with a resistance band along with the other participants at Pure Barre on Council Tree Avenue. (Photo credit: Amanda Garcia)
In the midst of a rigorous workout during one of Pure Barre’s afternoon classes, Kat Parker stretches with a resistance band along with the other participants at the Pure Barre studio on Council Tree Avenue. (Photo credit: Amanda Garcia)

Staying active in Colorado is encouraged as much as it is the norm here. After all, Colorado has been declared the fittest state by many, and according to the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, it is one of the top 10 states with the lowest obesity rates.

Hiking our mountains and biking our trails may not be for everyone, and with diverse gym and fitness centers continually sprouting up across Fort Collins, some may find their workout niche within these centers that offer student packages, special deals and private classes as well as memberships.

1. Pure Barre

According to Pure Barre, it is the most established barre studio in the nation, and works to incorporate small, isometric exercises to burn fat in target areas all while holding onto a ballet bar.

“Because we offer one type of workout, it is very niche,” said owner Stephanie Spalding. “We like to think that because we offer one thing, we do it really well.”

With 30 classes offered per week, a team of six rotating teachers, and a maximum class size of 25, Pure Barre specializes in workouts designed for women aged 18 – 70, but men are more than welcome to attend. The Pure Barre system allows for control over the intensity of the workout.

“It is one of the safest ways to work out because there are no big movements, or jumping, jarring, and kicking,” Spalding said.

1. Raintree Athletic Club

Raintree Athletic Club provides a positive environment where one can come for a variety of fitness options from weights and cardio to group fitness and yoga, without having to wait for machines or sign up for classes.

“Students have the opportunity to branch out from campus, while still being close, and can get a great workout in an environment that inspires growth and wellness,” said club coach Amanda Shannon.

1. Miramont

This family-owned business offers a range of fitness activities such as CrossFit, a form of high-intensity training, as well as spinning, yoga classes and personal training, and has the largest rock climbing facility in Northern Colorado. According to Miramont, their goal is to prep your body for utilizing Colorado’s outdoors, while having fun at the same time.

“We want to be intentional with our culture,” said Shane Hunsinger, chief operating officer. “It is a culture that is service minded and intentional.”

1. Anytime Fitness Fort Collins

“We believe in an affordable gym that fits your lifestyle,” said Lindsey Robinson, assistant manager. “With our 24/7 access, you’ll always feel welcome no matter where you are.”

The Anytime Fitness membership card grants access to thousands of clubs across the nation and world.

1. Iron Prodigy Gym

Iron Prodigy is created for anyone who thrives in a results-orientated environment, and is like a candy store for lifters of all levels, according to their website. Iron Prodigy specializes in lifting, and has a range of weights and specialty equipment.

1. Fort Collins CrossFit

The diverse programming at Fort Collins CrossFit includes specialized coaching, CrossFit classes, open gym, nutrition guidance and muscle activation therapy. According to their website, their broad range of coaching expertise will fuel your desire and passion to get you across the finish line, summit, or life goal you set.

1. Student Recreation Center

For many Colorado State students, they may choose to find their workout close to home by heading to the Student Recreation Center and taking advantage of the classes offered there, such as yoga and kickboxing, or simply lifting weights.

However the CSU and Fort Collins community chooses to find their exercise, Colorado delivers a wide range of enjoyable indoor and outdoor options to meet many skill levels and passions.

Collegian Reporter Clarissa Davies can be reached online at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @DaviesClarissa.