Colorado State University hosts Earth Week events

Colorado State University is hosting this year’s Earth Week in celebration of becoming the first STARS platinum rated university in the world. Events include opportunities for attendees to receive free items that encourage reuse and sustainability, to learn about ways CSU is sustainable and how to live a sustainable lifestyle.

Monday April 20

Carpool to Coffee: 7:30 a.m.- 9:30 a.m. To encourage students to carpool and raise awareness about the carpooling program at CSU. Students who carpool to school and arrive in lots 505 and 240 will get free coffee.

Sustainable Futures Fair: 2 p.m.-5 p.m. in the Lory Student Center Ballroom A and B. Find sustainable employment options in a variety of industries. From 2 p.m.-3 p.m. there will be a discussion panel with people from different industries, then a Career Fair from 3 p.m-5 p.m.

ASCSU Green Grocery Shopping: 6 p.m.-8 p.m. outside King Soopers on Elizabeth and Taft Hill. Students who stop by the booth can receive free reusable grocery bags and sustainable shopping tips. Hosted by Associated Students of Colorado State University.

Tuesday April 21

Bus to Breakfast Bars: 7:30 a.m.-9:15 a.m. at the Transit Center. The University Parking Services department will be handing out breakfast bars to students riding transit to promote using the Transfort Bus System as a sustainable form of transportation.

Dining Plate Waste Audit: 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. in Braiden, Corbett/Parmelle, Durrell and Ram’s Horn dining halls. Volunteers will be collecting plate waste from students and have the waste on display during the Earth Day Festival on Wednesday to raise awareness of food waste. Hosted by CSU Housing and Dining Services.

ASCSU Sustainable Movie Night: 5 p.m.-8 p.m. in the ASCSU Senate Chambers/LSC 204. ASCSU is hosting a moving about sustainability, trivia with prizes and free food.

Wednesday April 22

Earth Day Festival: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. at the LSC West Sculpture Garden. An annual event where organizations from Fort Collins and CSU come together to educate the CSU community on how to live a greener life and make sustainable decisions.

Earth Day Festival Ride and Drive: 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the LSC. Try driving electric cars and learn about Drive Electric Northern Colorado.

Tree Campus USA Planting Ceremony: 2 p.m.-3 p.m. at the Danforth Chapel. The Campus Tree Advisory Committee will be hosting Campus Tree Walks before the planting ceremony. Stop by their booth at the LSC Sculpture Garden.

SoGES Public Lands GCRT Symposium Keynote Speaker: 4 p.m.-5 p.m. in the LSC Greyrock Room. Members of a Global Challenges Research Team will present a year-long work that discusses “Environmental History, Ecology, and Sustainability in Public Lands.” The group is funded by CSU’s School of Global Environmental Sustainability and aims to advance global sustainability research and practice. The keynote speaker, Ben Minteer, Arizona Zoological Society Endowed Chair at Arizona State Univeristy, will discuss Edward Abbey along with contemporary views of the wild.

Thursday April 23

Bike to Breakfast: 7:30 a.m.-9:15 a.m. on University Avenue outside of the Natural Resources building. Students that bike to the station will get free breakfast burritos, courtesy of University Parking Services.

SoGES Public Land GCRT Symposium: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. in LSC 382. Members of a Global Challenges Research Team will present a year-long work that discusses “Environmental History, Ecology, and Sustainability in Public Lands.” The group is funded by CSU’s School of Global Environmental Sustainability and aims to advance global sustainability research and practice.

Longboard to Lunch: 12 p.m.- 1 p.m. at Meridian and University Avenue. Longboraders and skateboarders can stop by the station to get free hot dogs from University Parking Services.

Earth, Sun and Fire Tour: 1 p.m.-3 p.m. at the Foothills Campus. Stop by to see the in-vessel composter, the biomass boiler and tour the 5.3-megawatt, 30-acre solar plant. Bus transportation to the Foothills Campus from main campus will be provided by CSU. Reserve a spot here.

Women, Population and Environment with SoGES Environmental Justice GCRT panel discussion: 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. at Avogadro’s Number. Panel discussion on environmental issues regarding urban areas and how ecological, socioeconomic and physical factors influence vertebrate species, as well as other related topics.

Friday April 24

ASCSU Bring Your Own Cup: 8:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. in LSC Sweet Sinsations, Morgan’s Grind and Sweet Temptations in the Behavioral Sciences Building. Get a free reusable coffee thermos at each location, as the event aims to reduce waste at the coffee shops on campus.

Compost Giveaway and Ewaste Collection: 1 p.m.-3 p.m. in the Moby Parking Lot. Housing and Dining Services is giving away free compost created from the food waste in the dining halls to students on a first come, first served basis. Students must supply their own buckets and may bring up to 2 buckets.

SoGES Biodiversity Working Group Workshop: “Pollinator Landscaping for Urban Sustainability”: 2:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m. in the Fort Collins Old Town Library. A panel of researches will discuss pollinator plants for urban landscaping and the relationship between urban agriculture and pollinators.

Collegian City Beat Reporter Sady Swanson can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @sadyswan.