Free parking during finals week, mental health programs discussed by ASCSU

The Associated Students of Colorado State University postponed a resolution that would make parking free during finals week and discussed awareness of mental health programs for students at Wednesday’s senate meeting.

“Way too much dissent (was) expressed within Senate and the dissent was carried over,” said Senator Yunus Ozekin, a veterinary medical and biomedical sciences major, in regards to the parking resolution. “We ended up coming to the final consensus to postpone that indefinitely.”

Three new members were ratified and sworn in Wednesday evening: Kelsey Silver, elections committee; Jesse Feeback, elections committee; and Anne Byrne, assistant graduate liaison. Byrne’s position will allow ASCSU to further reach out to graduate students.

The mental health committee for ASCSU has been working toward making programs available to better student health on campus.

“We are close with our mental health anti-stigma campaign,” said ASCSU Director of Health Mackenzie Whitesell. The campaign focuses on removing the stigma from mental illness and would take place March 30 through May 1.

Whitesell also said chronic health mentors will be holding office hours at the Resources for Disabled Students satellite office. Their hours will be posted outside the door.

“We are trying to increase the amount of students that use that space,” Whitesell said. “The mentors are there to listen if you are having a rough day and need to talk to someone. The idea is to increase student awareness that this is a resources available for them.”

Collegian Assistant News Editor Christina Vessa can be reached online at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @chrissyvessa.