Do you TILT? Institute for Learning and Teaching provides opportunities

TILT is more than just a building on campus.

Madeline Jekot (left) a freshman electrical engineering major and Rachel Popp (right) a mathematics senior are both TILT math tutors working together to solve a LOG problem.

The Institute for Learning and Teaching provides access to tutoring, study groupsscholarships and more to help students as CSU grow in their academics.

TILT was founded in 2005. According to their website, they have “grown from 1,500 to more than 14,000” students in the Arts and Sciences Tutoring Program alone.

One of those students is a sophomore business major, Benhur Desta.

“I found out about it through word of mouth from a friend who was using TILT already,” Desta said. He recently began going to TILT last semester and likes how different it is than the learning in a classroom.

“I’m able to gain good relationships with the tutors and the other students,” Desta said. “It’s easier meeting with peers to discuss homework than someone higher up in the school. It’s more comfortable.”

The TILT learning programs provide a one-on-one connection to enhance learning in any class. There are study groups offered for majors ranging from art and media to chemistry and biology.

“Most students who come here are first year students looking for some help, but anyone of any year is welcome to join,” said Jasmine Zachariah, a sophomore psychology major who is the learning programs coordinator for TILT.

Most of TILT’s organization is run by undergraduate and graduate students who have used TILT and want to help others continue their education in an easy way.

“Academic coaching comes first,” Zachariah said. “The advisers meet with students to determine how they learn. Then, they give the students information on what program would best fit them. Our tutoring program is the most popular tool, by far.”

The studying takes place in the TILT building. It’s a group effort that makes it simple to get a handle on what students need for each specific class.

“I needed help with my calculus class and it has benefited me a lot,” Desta said.

TILT also provides workshops for students to attend that are free to all CSU students. The workshops focus on different studying strategies, future education help and test prep. Students don’t have to register for the workshops and they can get free information about how to better their education at CSU.

“It’s a great place to work, and you meet so many amazing students and faculty,” Zachariah said.

Study groups are  available in the great hall of the TILT building, So Sunday through Thursday 5 – 10 p.m.

“There have been many students attending the study groups lately,” said Elaine Green, director of academic integrity at TILT. “It’s really blooming.”

Collegian Reporter Dallas Head can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @head94head.