ASCSU to launch new website without costing students

In a culture where technology is constantly utilized, Associated Students of Colorado State University is making changes to their website to accommodate functionality for students.

ASCSU is working with CSU Information Technology and Academic Computer Network Services to update their current website. The site should be completed after spring break, according to Vice President Lance LiPuma.

“Compared to years past, where they have outsourced it with other companies, it has cost a lot of student fees,” LiPuma said. “This one is essentially no student dollars.”

The 2013 – 2014 administration spent $6,000 on the current website, according to Controller Allie Eret. She began reviewing the website last semester, and has been designing the new one as a part of her thesis. Eret said the current and new websites are both run through WordPress.

“The current website lacks functionality and an ease of access for students to find involvement opportunities,” Eret wrote in an email to the Collegian. “We want involvement to be on the front page of the website, as well as other pertinent information.”

Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 11.43.40 AM

LiPuma said although the current website looks appealing, information about the departments, contacts for senators and a place to voice concerns is not evident. He said ASCSU is working to make records available to students before the end of the semester.

“We have another ASCSU website, ASCSU records, where we can publish and store all of our minutes and agendas and have that all digitalized and online,” LiPuma said. The ASCSU records website will function as an archive and will be coming out in the next few weeks.

LiPuma said sustainability is another bonus of an efficient website.

“If you take away the paper, its way more conservative and saves money,” LiPuma said. “It’s much easier to propagate stuff out to the masses (with the website).”

For some CSU students such as Cole Rankin, a junior wildlife conservation biology major, the current website is not interactive enough.

“Maybe (they could) say what they are currently working on,” Rankin said. “From what I was reading, I didn’t see.”

He said it is important for a big school to provide students with interactive technological resources.

“They have these statements, but they (need) a minute video at the top that describes what they are talking about in the text below,” Rankin said.

The current administration is looking to create a larger web presence through social media, such as their Facebook page, and their new website.

“We are a board of representatives, not trustees,” LiPuma said. “You are our boss. When we are looking for constituent input, we need to have that platform so we can push something out and get the return.”

Collegian Assistant News Editor Christina Vessa can be reached online at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @chrissyvessa.