New CSU medical center to be built on campus

The Colorado State University System Board of Governors approved a plan for a new on-campus medical center at Colorado State University Wednesday. The new $59 million center will provide intensified medical attention to students and faculty, and offer better health and medicine research opportunities.

The new building will house the current CSU Health Network, as well as a walk-in clinic and occupational public health care services from University of Colorado Health and Associates in Family Medicine. The Columbine Health Center for healthy aging will also be added with the intent of conducting aging research and educational programs.

Bob and Kitty Wilson personally pledged $5 million, and University of Colorado Health will contribute $5 million to the construction of the new facility. Other construction funds will come from CSU Health Network revenues and tenant lease payments.

“The new CSU Medical Center will serve as a prominent gateway to campus and will certainly become a significant asset to our students and the broader Fort Collins community,” said Tony Frank in a statement on Source. “We are deeply grateful for the support of Columbine Health Systems and UCHealth, and the generosity of the Wilson family. Thanks to their vision, Colorado State will greatly enhance medical services we offer to campus, deepen our biological research capabilities and meet a clear community healthcare need.”

The four-story medical center will be located on the northwest corner of College Avenue and Prospect Road. There is no set date for the start of construction, but the plan is to begin construction in the fall of 2015 and complete it in late 2016.

Collegian reporter Zara DeGroot can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter @zar_degroot.