Fire and Water event center will bring together the outdoors, beer and music

Three things the people of Fort Collins love are outdoor recreation, craft beer and local music. Brad Modesitt, owner of the Fort Collins business Mountain Whitewater Descents, is striving to bring them together in his new project Fire and Water.

Fire and Water will be a multifunction event center integrating several businesses run by Modesitt and his wife Lindsey, and will be located at 1329 N. Hwy. 287. The center will include a bar, restaurant and concert venue in addition to their whitewater rafting business, according to Modesitt.

The project will bring 30 full-time jobs and 60 part-time jobs to the area. Modesitt said he estimates the event center will be completed and fully running by summer 2016.

”That’s an interesting combination of things,” Colorado State University sophomore Jake Quinter said. “I think that’d make for a good day.”

Modesitt said he hopes to bring in other businesses that embody the spirit of the city, such as an artists’ gallery, farmers market, outdoor store or bike shop.

“Because of the community involvement here, it’d be cool to see a high amount of synergy in that venue,” Quinter said. “If all those can kind of work together to promote a consistent support system there, it would really fit the town.”

Fire and Water’s bar and restaurant will serve Colorado beers and wines, as well as hot sandwiches and burgers. The 3000 square foot area will have room for 100 patrons and will place an emphasis on “locally sourced farm-to-table healthy food,” according to Modesitt.

Modesitt said outdoor patios and firepits will add to the rustic, Caribbean-style atmosphere.

“The views of the foothills are the best in Fort Collins,” Modesitt said. Guests can enjoy these views from the Fire and Water concert venue, which will feature a large stage to play to a 1,200 person audience.

Compared to other construction in the Fort Collins area, students are supportive of this kind of project, according to CSU sophomore Jackson Watkins.

“I think more music venues are definitely more appealing to the kind of people that are in Fort Collins,” Watkins said.

For now, the venue will focus on bringing in local bands, according to Modesitt.

“That’s always cool when they try to get more local musicians out, because then it’s something you might not have heard before, and it’s something close to you,” Watkins said.

The event center will have 300 parking spaces and a 1,000-bicycle bike rack, according Modesitt.

Groups of different sizes will be able to rent out portions of the venue for a variety of events. Mountain Whitewater Descents will continue to operate as it has in the past, bringing in over 7,000 people each summer.

“More importantly, the community will be able to interact in a way that is more in tune with the earth and each other,” Modesitt said. “Bands, boats and beers will certainly be good for the area.”

Collegian Reporter Emily Vavra can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @vivalavavra.