Colorado State hosts Bike to Work Day station

Students, faculty and community members line up at CSU's Bike to Work Day station for free burritos and coffee, after parking their bikes on nearby temporary racks set up for the event. (Photo credit: Sady Swanson)
Students, faculty and community members line up at CSU’s Bike to Work Day station for free burritos and coffee, after parking their bikes on nearby temporary racks set up for the event. (Photo credit: Sady Swanson)

Colorado State University hosted its first Bike to Work Day station on Fort Collins’ Bike to Work Day Wednesday morning, put on to encourage people to ride their bikes to commute, especially in the winter.

“It’s a chance to show that riding your bike in the winter is practical,” Director of Parking and Transportation Services at CSU Aaron Fodge said. “It’s a chance to celebrate that we have amazing infrastructure to support people (to ride their bike). We should be proud as a campus.”

CSU’s station was set up in the Newton Plaza near the Behavioral Sciences building and had free breakfast burritos, coffee and people doing bike tunes.

Amy Lewin, part of the Transportation Planning department in Fort Collins, visited the CSU Bike to Work day station on Wednesday. There were 25 stations set up throughout the city.

“It’s a celebration of all things bike,” Lewin said. “And who doesn’t like biking around and seeing friendly faces and getting free stuff?”

Lewin said that, not only does this event encourage people to bike more, but it also encourages different community members and organizations to come together to set up the stations.

2013 CSU graduate Dan Mogen said he rides his bike through campus every day on the way to work.

“I’ve been looking forward to this since the summer Bike to Work Day,” Mogen said. “It makes me grumpy when I don’t get to bike.”

Mogen also said it is less stressful and frustrating to bike because he does not have to deal with traffic.

CSU environmental health freshman Zane Khattak said he rides his bike to class every day from Laurel Village.

“Biking is better for the environment,” Khattak said. “It’s definitely a healthy way to travel.”

Bill Timpson, education professor at CSU, said that biking helps reduce each person’s ecological footprint.

“Climate change is something we all must pay attention to,” Timpson said.

He also mentioned that more people would be healthier if more people biked to commute.

“It’s great exercise. It’s the perfect counter weight to sitting and reading and typing all day,” Timpson said. “I also get bragging rights for all biking all winter.”

Fodge also recognized those that plow the streets and sidewalks when it snows, making it possible for people to continue biking in the winter months.

Bike to Work Day is part of the Bike Winter program hosted by CSU and the city of Fort Collins. Fodge said the events have been successful in teaching people how to properly fuel, dress and prepare for winter biking.

“Today should show that you can ride in the winter,” Fodge said.

Collegian Reporter Sady Swanson can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @sadyswan