Colorado State students collaborate to produce music, comedy, improv and more

On Saturday the Young Producers Organization (YPO) is hosting a variety show featuring music, comedy, acting and improv.

The show will take place in the University Center of the Arts, on the second floor in room 242. Doors open at 6:45 p.m. and the show will start at 7:00 p.m. The show is free, but a donation is encouraged.

“We tried to include a little bit of everything,” said Jon Burns, technical director and junior theatre major at CSU. “We want to make it as funny as possible to a college audience while appealing to the general public as well.”

The Young Producers Organization is a group of mostly Colorado State University students who aim to produce shows, improv, dialogues, music and comedy events.

“This organization allows students to get their hands dirty,” said junior theatre major and member of YPO Jasmine Winfrey. “YPO lets people direct shows, put on movies or even just show the faculty what they are capable of.”

YPO encourages members to get involved wherever they are interested, whether or not they are students in the theatre department.

“We are a production company that facilitates events and opportunities for people to show artistic expression,” Burns said.

Whether the organization is acting out stories from elementary school kids or planning a rave on campus, YPO gives students the grounds to get started in theater productions, according to Winfrey.

“The point of our organization is not a social club, it is to produce something that allows members to participate and network within the theatre program,” said Patrick Weseman, arts leadership and administration grad student and executive director of YPO.

YPO puts on two full-length plays, open mic nights and improv club as well as provides members with experience, networking and a supportive community.

Improv club meets every Tuesday and Thursday from 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. in UCA room 238.

Open mic night is every Tuesday at Sanfords Backyard Grill or at the Bean Cycle on the last Friday of every month. Both events begin at 8:00 p.m.

Lysistrata is the next major production coming from YPO, which begins Oct. 31 and goes until Nov. 2.

The YPO meets every Wednesday at 5:30 in UCA room 240. Check out their Facebook page here.