iPhone 6 announced: new look, bigger screen and Apple Pay among improvements

With the announcement of the iPhone 6, students who own iPhones may be in for a for a highly anticipated upgrade.

In launching the new iPhone 6, Apple is giving customers a new smooth and curved design and a larger 4.7-inch screen, as well as the option for an even larger 5.5-inch phablet, which combines the functions of a phone and a tablet.

The iPhone 6 may take up more pocket space as it shifts from the former 4-inch screen size and moves into a more common 4.7 inch screen size. The iPhone 6 will still be smaller than some smartphones, but it’s larger size will more closely resemble popular android phones like the Samsung Galaxy and the HTC One (M8).

John Meriwether, a graduate student in music at CSU, said that he was in favor of the new bigger screen and that it will make Apple more competitive will other smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy S4.

“I’ve had my iPhone for a couple of years, so I will probably upgrade,” Meriwether said.

Diana Cardenas, CSU Human Development and Family Studies senior, said that the iPhone 6 may be a good size for consumers, but that the phablet version, or the iPhone 6 Plus, is too big.

The retina display will continue to be a iPhone signature, and the iPhone 6 will retain a 326ppi with a 1,334×750 pixel resolution. The iPhone 6 Plus will have a higher pixel density on a 1080p HD display.  Students can enjoy a better-than-720p display on the iPhone 6 or a 1080p HD display on the iPhone 6 Plus.

The new look of the iPhone is quite different from the iPhones of the past. Apple’s new design features curved edges and a metal body, which bring the look closer to the previous iPod touch. As usual, the new iPhone will be slim ,at 0.27 inches, and will come in gold, silver and space gray. The phone weighs the same as the iPhone 5s and has a Touch ID fingerprint scanner.

Apply has also launched Apple Pay, which could change how students pay for things around campus. The new Apple Pay feature works as an app through NFC, or near-field communications. The app may allow students to pay in some stores with a simple wave of an iPhone.

Jack Hansen, Computer Engineering sophomore, said that the new Apple Pay technology could present new chances for identity theft.

“I’ll stick to the old magnetic strip on my card,” Hansen said.

The iPhone 6 will launch Sept. 19, with pre-orders beginning Sept. 12. There will be a 16GB for $199, a 64GB for $299 and 128GB version for $399. All of these prices will be available on contract.

Collegian Reporter Shawn Brown can be reached at news@collegian.com.