Five unique campus clubs you may have never heard of

Clubs are a great way to meet new people, get involved on campus and explore new hobbies, from lumberjack sports to meditation. Here are five little-known Colorado State University clubs to get involved in.

The Heisenberg Society
Uncertain about what club to join? Like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle it is named after, this club is a head scratcher. According to the club’s website, “We exist to create a pumpkin trebuchet, launch said trebuchet, and promote general nerd culture.” Let uncertainty plague you no more. You can finally fulfill your childhood dream of decimating a pumpkin using everybody’s favorite Newtonian law. The Heisenberg Society gives students the opportunity to hurl a pumpkin to the heavens and gaze in awe as it inevitably crashes to earth (similar to many of our hopes and dreams). That being said, if you are passionate about nerd culture, trebuchets or pumpkins, this is the club for you.

Logging Sports
How much wood can a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? How about this: How much wood would be good for Cam the Ram to build a dam? Yes ma’am, it could, and should, be good for the ram to woodwork, understood? Tongue twisters are not guaranteed, but this club gives students an opportunity to not only cut wood, but cut wood competitively. Participants will engage in events like the single buck, double buck, Jack-and-Jill buck and OP buck, according to the club website. That’s a lot of bang for your buck. Beards and flannel are required and non-negotiable.

Zen Club
Want to calm the ever-present noise in your head, the nagging whir of modern life and the incessant buzz of anxiety? The Zen Club offers students a way to quiet the mind through meditation. This isn’t like the group-agreed silence that you’re used to in class, uncomfortably avoiding eye contact hoping you can endure another class without having to talk to another human; this type of silence isn’t awkward, it’s enlightening. According to the website, “It was started in 2001 to provide an opportunity for students and community members to practice sitting meditation regularly.” Your weekend ritual of quieting your mind with a warm Keystone hasn’t proven fruitful, so why not try focused relaxation instead?

Argentine Tango Club
It takes two to tango. Do you have what it takes to tango, too? This club welcomes dancers of all skill levels and doesn’t  require a partner, according to the club website. Don’t let your two left feet hold you back, do the right thing and join this club for instruction and practice in the Argentinean dance. Leave the Wu-Tang at home, hydrate with a gulp of Tang and go tango with the Argentine Tango Club.

The Harry Potter Alliance
You’re a wizard, Rammy. This club unites Harry Potter fans to take on real-world activism projects. According the club website, there are chapters worldwide and CSU is one of them. According to the CSU chapter website, “Our mission is to empower our members to act like the heroes that they love by acting for a better world.” If you love Harry Potter and want to channel that passion to help others, this club is J.K. calling your name.

Collegian News Reporter Danny Bishop can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @DannyDBishop.