Rumors of Summit Hall sinkhole spread through Colorado State community

Rumors about foundation issues in Summit Hall at Colorado State University and The Grove student apartment complex have been floating around the campus community.

The Grove apartment complex staff put those rumors to rest.

“There is a wetland next to our property, but it is illegal to build on a wetland in Fort Collins,” said Trace Pozek, maintenance reviser at The Grove.

There are no cracks in the foundation of The Grove, according to Pozek.

Cracks in the structure of Summit Hall have gotten several CSU students talking this semester.

“I have heard from a few people that Summit was built on a sinkhole,” said sophomore biology major Alysun Mantych.

Within the four-story building, there are a few noticeable fractures. Cracks in the basement floor can be seen just outside of the laundry room, splitting in the stone wall outside of the main office is apparent and it the foundation looks as if it may be sinking underneath the concrete next to a support beam.

If residents are not careful, they might trip on the ledge beneath the doors to get inside.

However, despite rumors, this is not due to the property being built on a sinkhole. According to Jake Miller, junior business major and third year resident assistant at Summit Hall, the fractures were caused by settling in the foundation post-construction.

“At first there was a little sink, but it settled after that and it is safe now,” Miller said.

Although there are a few obvious cracks, some residents are not concerned.

“I don’t see this as a problem now, maybe in the future,” said senior economics major Eduardo Guzman.

Summit Hall is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year while providing a home to over 500 students.

Collegian Reporter Christina Vessa can be reached at news@collegian.com or on Twitter at @chrissyvessa.